Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This problem is getting out of hand.

I have the same issue on my C5180, and there are other posts on this site.

I did try an non-HP original when my cartridge ran out. I got an error message as it seemed to know that is was an HP re-fill rather than a brand new expensive refill. I have since bought an original, but connot get it to print black.

I wondering if there is a shutdown mechanism that HP have employed on the machine and rendered it useless.

Has anyone only ever used Original cartridges and seen this problem ?

HP Recommended
I have only used original cartridges. 
HP Recommended

Ok guys.... I took one for the team.

See my earlier post(s) for my problem - but basically my printer would print black in either.

So had my Photosmart 3310 taken away and stripped.  Nothing odd found (no blockages etc), so they reassembled it and - hey priesto - black ink flows again. Repairers were a little stumped as to what the problem could have been... maybe a small blockage that fell away without the repairer noticing when it was dismantled or an air bubble that cleared when in it was in pieces... who knows.

Anyway... £80 later and I have a printer again. No idea for how long though.  Solution was probably a bit too technical for an HP expert to recommend but there you go. Hope this helps others.  

Would probably suggest you get an expert to dismantle unless you are very confident of not botching it up.  Good luck.

HP Recommended
I have only had my C7280 All-in-one for three months, but am having the same difficulty with the black printhead - I've loaded two new cartridges - the printer cycles, but no black ink - test strip confirms that no black ink is being printed despite the fact I can hear the ink slosh in the cartridge - this is very disappointing because I was initially thrilled with this printer after years of struggling with Epson printheads that tend to print lines through the type no matter how many times I cleaned the printheads - I would like an answer better than the hassle of getting warranty work done, especially when I have had the printer for such a short time - very disappointing.  Any answers yet?
HP Recommended
I have a 3310 that just did the same thing today.  The black wont print. Was on line with HP for two hours doing different stuff.  Tech's advice was to junk my 3310 and buy a c7280. Now I don't know if that's a smart thing to do.
HP Recommended
I have a 3310 that is having the same black ink problem. I was on line with support for two hours, cleaned, ran alignments, changed cartridges twice to new one (have never used anything but HP new cartridges since new) still have problem. Support suggested I buy a c7280 because it uses the same cartridges as the 3310, but I don't know if I should considering it seems to be having the same problem. Did you ever get any answers from your HP friends about their thoughts?
HP Recommended
I have a 3310 that stopped printing black today.  Went thru all the crap with HP support to no avail. Read your post about the HP updates and removed all the HP software and reinstalled from my original install disk.  NOTHING !!!!!  Black still won't print so I don't think the problem is in the software, I think that HP's print heads for black are pieces of s--t and that's why so many people are all of a sudden having problems. How about it GAREN T any news from the boys.
HP Recommended
Some new info on the "won't print with black ink problem". I have a 3310 All-in-one and was having the same problem, went thru HP on line chat support, did all their stuff with no good results.  Late last night I removed all the current HP software, unplugged my printer, disconnected the USB connection. Then I reinstalled the original software from the disk that came with the printer, plugged the printer back in, reconnected the USB.and tried printing something. Didn't work.  Then I did the clean printhead from the tools part of setup, and did the realign printer from setup and guess what, IT WORKED. The printer prints in black now.  Don't know how long this will last but hopefully a long time.  I will not let HP autoupdate the software now.  Hope this helps the people having the BLACK INK WON'T PRINT problem.  Good Luck
HP Recommended

I was experiencing similar issues, then I tried step 4 on this page:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00635953

I basically took out the black ink cartridge, left it on the desk with the print head facing up for two hours, wiped it off with a damp paper towel (not sure if that is necessary), and reinstalled. I printed a test page, then printed a regular page - it looked great and my problem was fixed!

HP Recommended

I've got a Deskjet 4260 that is doing something similar, although it seems to be printing selectively ... it prints in black in some programs but in colour (mostly in the yellow-orange-red spectrum) in other programs. One of the latter programs is TextEdit, a really basic text program which as far as I can see doesn't even give you an option for colour print ... but everything written in TextEdit is coming out mustard-yellow nonetheless.

Also the font sizes and the margins of the printed pages are wildly out of line with what I set up when creating the documents. The font sizes are much smaller (20-point looks like 10- or 12-point; actual 12-point text is almost unreadable) and the margins have been widened so that the text is all set down in the middle 30% of the page.

I've just finished removing and reinstalling the software/driver as the printer and my computer weren't "talking" to each other. Test sheets have run off without a problem and they are now on speaking terms ... but they're apparently still having some communications problems.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.