cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mgkaok
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Handle is Invalid error when printing from other computer - Officejet Pro 8500

HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909a

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Error message: "The handle is invalid"

I have 5 computers on a home network all running Win 7.

The 8500 is connected to Computer A via USB.

I can install the 8500 on the other 4 computers (B-E). On each one it shows as "HP Officejet 8500 A909a Series on A".

I can print on computers B & C without a problem.

When I try on computers D & E a yellow triangle exclamation point error appears. It reads: "The handle is not valid" and nothing prints. Somewtimes it's C & D that can print and it's B & E that can't. It's almost like it hits a limit of some sort.

I tried disconnecting the USB cable and installing the printer directly on the network. All 5 computers can print BUT after a couple of hours the network fails and I have to reset the router.

I have the latest firmware and print drivers. I have tried removing, resetting and reinstalling the printer to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RobertoR
Level 8
2,242 2,229 100 292
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi mgkaok 

Welcome to the community and thank you for providing a complete picture of your issue this will make everybody in the community understand the issue, 

Just as a quick recommendation did you try the Network diagnostic tool 

It may share light on where the issue may be

Hope it helps;

RobertoR

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :OpenSmile:
0 Kudos
mgkaok
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Diagnostic Utility offers no valuable information at this time.

I will unplug the USB cable to the printer and reconnect it with the ethernet line.

Then I will use the diagnostic tool right away and again when the Internet connection drops (which it will but it may take a few hours).

I will report what happens.

Thanks for taking interest is this issue.

p.s. I have a Panasonic KX-MB781 laser printer on the network and the Diagnostic Utility did not find it despite my being able to print to it and despite the Utility displaying its IP address in the Display Detected Network Devices button in the Advanced Tools Screen.

0 Kudos
mgkaok
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK. I unplugged the USB cable and reconnected the LAN cable to the printer and as I expected the Internet access failed. I then ran the diagnostic tool to no avail. However, I then loaded the tool on a flash drive, rebooted the router, quickly ran the tool on one of the computers that was reporting "handle invalid" and discovered that the drivers for the printer on that computer were out of date. I installed the new drivers and viola! The network now appears stable and the printer is working via ethernet on all computers.

ONE MORE IMPORTANT BIT OF INFORMATION: I also gave the printer a static IP address. This means that I can't be sure it it was the old driver or the new static IP address that resolved the problem and I really don't want to go through another round of experimenting.

I have little faith in all this so I'll reserve final judgement for a week or so.

I PROMISE to report back in about a week to let everyone know how things turn out.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
RobertoR
Level 8
2,242 2,229 100 292
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi mgkaok

No Problem Glad that is working and thanks for sharing the detailed steps taken in particular, that running the tool for a flash drive help you find that the driver was out of date this may help a lot others.  Hopefully this is a permanent solution for you. :OpenSmile: 

Thanks and best of luck;

RobertoR 

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :OpenSmile:
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation