cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Callmemike
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

How to change the default email handler for Scan to Email

HP Recommended
Photosmart 7520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use the Scan to Email function fairly regularly, and I'm having trouble with finding how to change the default email software that the HP scan software opens for this function.  When I was using Outlook, it would use that by default.  I switched to Thunderbird as my default Windows 10 email handler, and the HP software automatically started using that.  Now I've switched to EM Client and named it as my Windows 10 default email handler, but the HP software still wants to use Thunderbird for Scan to Email.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Aardvark1
Retired
Retired
3,446 3,272 246 419
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Callmemike. 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums. I do not recall the scan to email feature on the 7520 being connected to an email client on a computer. The User Guide says the following. 

Scan directly to email (wireless Internet connections only)

Automatically send scanned photos and documents to one or more email addresses directly from the printer control panel.

NOTE: To use the Scan to Email feature, make sure Web Services is turned on. For additional information, go to theHow do I enable Web Services? FAQ.

Step 1: Add your email address to the printer
Add your email address to your printer, and then retrieve your PIN (personal identification number).

1. On the printer control panel, touch Scan.
  2. Touch the Email icon, and then touch Continue.
  3. Touch the Email dialogue box, type your email address, and then touch Continue.
  4. A PIN number is sent to the email address you typed.
  5. Log into to your email account and note the PIN number in the email sent from eprintcenter@hp.com.
  6. On the printer control panel, touch Continue, and then select a security option on the Remember Me Information screen.
  • Select Auto-login to store the PIN. This is a low security option best used when you are the only person using the printer.
  • Select Store Email to store the email address, but not the PIN. The PIN must be typed each time you scan to email. Use this more secure option if multiple people use the printer to scan.

Step 2: Scan the document or photo to the email account

Select your scan type, and then type the email address you want to send the scan to.

1. On the printer control panel, touch Photo or Document, depending on the item you are scanning.
  2. Type the email address that you want to send the scan to and the PIN that was sent to your email account, and then touch Log In.
  3. On the Review Information screen, touch Modify Recipients to add or select additional email addresses, and then touch Continue.
  4. Touch Scan to Email to complete the scan.
  5. Return to your email account to open the email sent from eprintcenter@hp.com. The scanned item is attached to the email.

Let me know if those steps worked for you. If they did, that’s awesome! Give us some reinforcement by hitting the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Aardvark1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Callmemike
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Let me explain a little more clearly... I use the HP Printer Assistant on Windows 10.  When I open the app and click on "scan a document or photo", it opens the scan utility.  Within that utility, there are predefined scanning shortcuts, one of which is "document to email".  I select that and click "Scan".  Once scanning is completed, it opens another window with a preview of the scanned document.  When I click "Save", it then opens my email client and creates a new message with the scanned document already attached.  Originally it opened Microsoft Outlook, because that was set as my default Windows email handler.  I switched my windows default email handler to Mozilla Thunderbird, and the HP software starting using that automatically for this same process.  I have since switched to another default email handler, but the HP software will not stop using Mozilla Thunderbird as the default for this process.  As a test, I set my Windows default email handler back to Outlook, and the HP software will still not stop using Thunderbird.  As I'm writing this, I'm guessing I'm going to be instructed to uninstall and reinstall the HP software, so I guess I'll just go ahead and try that.  I have set up several custome shortcuts and hate to lose all those and have to reestablish them after reinstalling, so I was hoping there was someplace in the HP software to name a default program to use for the "Document to Email" process.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation