cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

How to fix missing "scan to computer" touchscreen function

HP Recommended
laserjet pro mfp m225dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought my Laserjet Pro MFP M225dw last weekend and had no problems with the initial setup.  

After making the mistake of installing Windows 10, I have spent hours trying to fix the created inability to print.

I am finally back to the point that I can print and scan from the "HP Scan" utility on my computer, but I can no longer scan by using the scan button on the touchscreen on the printer.  

I am connected via USB.  

When I hit "scan" and then "scan to computer", it would say that it couldn't find my computer and I needed to "enable scan to computer".  I could not find where to do this.  I knew it could find my computer since I could both print and scan using the utility.  The button simply didn't work.

I tried to turn the printer off and back on to see if it would notice the computer.  

Now, when I hit the "scan" button, "scan to computer" is no longer even a selectable option.  Only "scan to HP flow CM", USB drive, network folder, and email are options.

I would like to know how to turn the "scan to computer" option back on so that I can scan by using the touchscreen instead of opening up the "HP scan" utility on the computer.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
8,276 7,338 381 838
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Xian77, and welcome to the HP Forums!

I see you're having scan connectivity issues. I would like to help!

I'd recommend starting with a power reset.  Disconnect the power cord from the printer and the power outlet, then wait 60 seconds. After 60 seconds, plug the printer back in. Ensure you plug the printer directly to a wall outlet. Make sure to bypass any sort of surge protector or power bar.

I would also recommend downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor.

Good luck and please let me know the results of your troubleshooting steps. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
0 Kudos
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for writing back.

I attempted the extended power off as requested, this did not fix the problem.

I installed and ran the Print and Scan Dr.  It ran and says there are no problems.

At this point, when I hit the scan button on the touch screen, "scan to computer" is still not an option.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
8,276 7,338 381 838
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Xian77 , and thanks for getting back to me!

I'd recommend updating the printer firmware, then rebooting your computer and printer:

HP LaserJet Pro Series Firmware Update Utility

Please keep me posted!

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Already done.
I downloaded the newest installation files from this site.
In fact, while my initial installation from the included CD worked until I upgraded to Windows 10, the "upgrade" broke my ability to print to anything...even PDF. I also couldn't access "devices and printers" in the control panel. It took me about 5 attempts to uninstall the printer software and download the newest version. It is only in the new version that the scan feature is missing. I think they fixed one problem but caused another.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
8,276 7,338 381 838
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Xian77,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks. Looking forward to hearing from someone. Thankfully not a major situation, just an annoyance.
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation