cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
miamiparis
Level 3
47 23 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is it cheaper to print using black and white instead of color for my 8100 printer ?

I have a HP Officejet 8100. My wife told me that I should sometimes print in black and white instead of color, in order to save on ink.

It sounded logical for her but when I started to think about it, I thought that her logic was true only if a black cartridge was cheaper than a color cartridge.

In the case of a 8100 printer, a HP 950XL Black Officejet Ink Cartridge costs $37. A HP 951XL Yellow Officejet Ink Cartridge costs $28. A magenta costs also $28, and a cyan costs $28.

So it seeems that a black cartridge is more expensive than a color cartridge. So I shouldn't listen to the advice of my wife.

So who is right ?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Level 19
Level 19
80,480 80,374 9,995 21,542
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is it cheaper to print using black and white instead of color for my 8100 printer ?

Hi,

Normally black ink cartridges are cheaper in terms of ml (or cc). Mixing colors the right way we will get black (and white too) therefore printing all black using black ink you need 1 "drop" but using a mixture of all colors to make black you need at least 3 "drops". Your wife is right in many ways (and trust me, THEY are always right :OpenSmile:  ).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation