cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

MFP M177FW - Cannot print from any MS Office application

HP Recommended
MFP M177FW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This may have started with the new Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Printing from Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook will either not do anything or will give an error "Printer not ready".

Printing from any other application works just fine. NotePad, Adobe Reader, Chrome, all properly print.

The driver is from HP,  PCLmS.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, same problem.

I have introduced new machines using the Windows 10 HP Driver, same problem.

I am thinking something changed with Anniversary Update.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 362
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Red73

Thank you for joining the HP Support Forums. Here at the forums, help is just a click away. You will find many solutions, suggestions and members of the community here that can help. I read your post and understand that you are having an issue with being able to print from MS Office applications. 

As you can print in all other applications other than the Microsoft ones, I would suggest that you contact Microsoft. If the issue did originate with the Anniversary update that came in, they would know best tips or tricks to fix the issue. You can also reach out to them using their Microsoft Community Forums as well.

Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up.

If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting.

Thanks! 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply EmeraldAvenger but of course I contacted Microsoft and of course they gave me their canned answer "Sorry, this is HPs problem, not ours. Clearly their drivers do not support Windows 10 Anniversary Update." 

So once again, I'm stuck in the middle of your two companies as you try to figure out who is smarter.

I will leave it to you to figure out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 362
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey Red73, 

Okay 🙂 No biggie! I am sure we can find a way to figure this out! I did some more research and found a couple of things I would like you to try for me. Please clear the Printer Spooler Files and Enable the Spooler Service:

• Open Search in your start menu.
  • Type Services.msc
  • Select Print Spooler
  • Click Stop the service
  • Browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS
  • Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.
  • Shut down your computer
  • Unplug the power cord to the printer
  • Wait 60 seconds
  • Plug the power cord back in
  • Turn on the printer
  • Turn on the Notebook
  • See if you can print

If the issue persists, disable the bidirectional support:

• From Devices and Printers window.

• Right-click your printer,

• Select Printer Properties.

• Click the Ports tab.

• Make sure that the Enable bidirectional support checkbox is unchecked. If it is checked, click the checkbox,
  • Click Apply,
  • Click OK.

Did either of those work? If not, please try Using Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help.

There are two more tools I can give you if the Print and Scan doctor does not work for you. You can use the Diagnose and fix printer and printing problems automatically with Microsoft Fix it and/or you can try the Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue tool

Try those and let me what happens 🙂 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm afraid none of these worked. Still same problem, no MS Office app can print, all others prints perfectly.

Update on testing:

1) I installed the HP drivers on a Windows 7 32bit and 64bit - printing from Office worked.

2) I installed the HP drivers on a Windows 8.1 32bit and 64bit - printing from Office worked.

3) I installed the HP drivers on a Windows 2012 R2 Server - printing from Office worked.

4)I installed the HP drivers on a Windows 10 (pre-Anniversary Update) and I cannot get MS Office apps to print at all.

So at this point, there are no drivers (Windows out of the box nor HP drivers) that will properly print from MS Office using this printer (M177FW).

Now what?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
2,840 2,755 185 362
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey, 

Thank you for conducting that testing! 

Did you happen to try uninstalling the HP driver completely and using the built-in print driver and see if it will print from the Microsoft applications? 

What if you go to Properties and the Advanced Print Settings can you switch the driver that is currently being used to an older one from the list and see if it works?

I found another thread on the HP Support Forums that may help. Please follow this link. 

There was a driver that was just updated: File name: Color_LJPro_MFP_M177_full-solution_15321.exe. Is that the one you had downloaded? I would suggest trying to uninstall your current printer software and installing the download in this post. 

Although not affiliated with HP, there is an online article called How to fix printer problems in Windows 10

Let me know what happens. 

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Next update....

1) I tried your latest driver, same issue

2) I tried the Microsoft driver out of the box, same issue

3)I tried multiple VM workstations running different versions of Windows 10 and different versions of your driver, same issue.

Then, I tried the following:

1) I took a VM running Windows 10, Office 2010 (to rule out Office 2016), installed the Windows version of the driver, could not get Office docs to print - same problem.

2)I took the same machine, installed my HP Laserjet Pro 200, and it printed beautifully from Office to that 200 printer.

Then, I noticed an interesting issue:

Any Windows 10 machine, running Office 2010, 2013, or 2016, and your driver or Microsoft's driver, the following died in Office:

Print to PDF

Print to XPS

Print to OneNote

None of them worked with your driver installed.

Mind you, if I remove your drivers, they work just fine!

So again, your drivers for the M177 on Windows 10 will not work for Office 2010, 2013, nor Office 2016. 

I strongly suggest bringing this to the attention of development. For now my only way around this is to have a Windows 7 VM running Office 2016 and your latest driver. Then it works fine.

I have tried every VM, every setting, every uninstall/reinstall - nothing works with Windows 10 and Office. Outside of Office it works fine.

Btw, Microsoft's printer diagnostics as well as your show everything is fine.  Microsoft blames your driver as we have proven the "Prtint to..." apps break with your drivers installed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,038 3,773 305 601
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Red73,

Thanks for getting back to us.

There is corruption on the computer. I suggest that you try repairing the software, please use these guides:

If the issue persists, try these steps: 

Create a new user account and try again:

If you're still experiencing problems, I would perform a system recovery.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I wish it were as easy as a bad profile or corruption, but again, I am using multiple workstations. So just to give you more tests:

1) I take a BRAND NEW PC with Windows 10

2) I install Office 2010 with SP2 (same results for 2013, 2016)

3)I choose "Print to PDF" or "Print to XPS" or "Print to One Note" - works beautifully

4)I install the HP driver for this printer

5)I can no longer use "Print to PDF", "Print to XPS", "Print to One Note"

6)I can not print to the printer from Office 

7)I create a new Windows Profile

8)I can now successfully use "Print to PDF", "Print to XPS", "Print to One Note"

9)I setup the printer again using the HP driver

10)Again, I can no longer print to anything

So no, it's not a corruption issue, it's not a profile issue. And yes, I have also tried the Windows driver on a BRAND NEW machine as well, same exact problem.

One more thing, if I use my HP LaserJet Pro 200 MFP, it works just fine and I never see the problems.

Again, this print driver should NOT be used on Windows 10. HP clearly has a problem. It's so easy to recreate, I gaurantee if you show this to development they will see the problem in minutes. You clearly have an incompatibility even though you say you don't. 

Try it with any version of Windows 10 as well as Office 2010, 2013, and 2016. They all have the problem.

BTW, your recommendations on using Microsoft troubleshooting steps does not help because technically it's not a Microsoft issue. It's only an issue when your M177FW drivers are installed and/or used as a printer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,038 3,773 305 601
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Red73,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

The HP driver is working well, as you stated earlier "printing from any other application works just fine. NotePad, Adobe Reader, Chrome, all properly print". Therefore, the HP driver is working as it should. It sounds like there is some sort of software conflict or user account permissions problem, etc. 

Please contact your local IT department to address the problem you're experiencing. 

Thank you for posting!

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation