Note on archived topics.
10-31-2013 02:41 PM - edited 12-16-2013 02:27 PM
Following is information and workaround about a recent issue with the HP Scan application and new OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Issue: When the scanned image is previewed in HP Scan it looks fine, however when saved to file the images may be entirely black, contain stripes, content may be missing, or other image irregularities.
The problem occurs when using the HP Scan application and scanning from an HP All-in-One (ENVY, Photosmart, Officejet, Deskjet, or Laserjet) with new OS X 10.9 Mavericks
Status: HP has identified root cause of this issue and will provide updated solutions ASAP for supported HP products.
Workaround: Use Apple’s Preview or Image Capture applications to scan images and documents to your Mac.
Note 1 - The issue and workaround described here only applies to HP All-in-One products and scanning.
Note 2 - HP Scanjets - these models are supported using Apple Preview or Image Capture. The latest OS X 10.9 Mavericks compatible HP ICA Software/installer is available for download from www.hp.com/support for these models:
HP Scanjet 5590
HP Scanjet 8270
HP Scanjet G3110
HP Scanjet G4010
HP Scanjet G4050
HP Scanjet N6310
Regarding Scanjet models not in the above list, an ICA solution is under investigation for Scanjets still within their support life.
NOTE: You should accept all Apple Software Updates to ensure that your HP scan driver is up-to-date for use with Mavericks
If you have not used Image Capture or Apple Preview previously to scan, you may need to download the latest HP driver and HP scan driver using Apple Software Update.
How to scan using Apple Preview
- Place the item that you want to scan on the scanner glass, or load it into the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) if your printer has one.
- In the Applications folder, Open Application. Preview is also available from the Dock.
- From the File menu, select Import from Scanner. It may take a few extra seconds for printer to show in list
- Select your printer from the list. If your printer does not appear please refer to the following section on using Apple Software Update to obtain the HP scan driver.
- If a 'Software for this device is not installed' message displays after you select your printer, click Install, and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
- Click Show Details to view scan settings and options.
- Change any settings as necessary, and then click Scan.
- When the preview image shows on left side, you may need to take the mouse and select (draw a box) around the image area you actually want to save or crop out.
- Once the preview image has dotted lines around the image, the scan button should be clickable and you can scan and then File / Save the image in a variety of formats.
Tip - if you hold down Option key when you select File / Save - you'll also get the 'Save As' option which some prefer to select destination and format. This is an apple feature with Preview and Text edit applications.
I am an HP employee
11-01-2013 09:56 AM
Thank you for letting us know. The most frustrating was not hearing from HP as to whether they were aware and working on a solution. I'll be on the look out for the update fix. Thanks for the "how to work around it."