Note on archived topics.
09-11-2009 04:33 AM
I don't want to fill the forum with unnecessary messages, but there are so many people on this forum (including myself) who can't get the scanning to work after upgrading to Snow Leopard that I thought it would be useful to give some additional prominence to the one post that I finally found on this forum which solved this. It's quite at the end of that other thread, so - again - I thought it would be useful to have it right at the top of this thread.
My printer model is a different one from the one in the below post, so it seems to me that both the problem and the solution apply across the range of models.
Problem solved. I found this on another post from ScaNGFool. Last week, after I installed Snow Leopard and had my original problem with the HP printers not being recognized I used the HP Uninstaller and tried to reinstall new drivers. I had to wait until today for this message board forum to get the new driver for my printer, which solved my printing issue, but left me unable to scan.
Having read the message below, I tried downloading the installer given in the link below (huge file, btw). Everything works fine now.
There is an issue with running some versions of HP Uninstaller on Snow Leopard. I'm going to speculate that what you have experienced is that the uninstaller removed some of the files that are required by the HP drivers that shipped with Snow Leopard.
Rather than re-installing from an HP-provided installer, I would recommend that you download the following from the Apple site. This installer should restore missing files with versions that are Snow Leopard compatible.
Barry - Mac Scanning Lead
Everywhere else on the forum the advice was just "you need to scan through Preview or Image capture, and if that doesn't work you need to wait for new drivers to be published at some time in the uncertain future". Which really wasn't good enough.
So amazingly the above advice is spot on. Which really makes sense in my situation, and I expect many did the same thing:
- After installing OS10.6, scanning didn't work
- So of course the normal knee-jerk reaction for anyone living with computers is to uninstall and reinstall the HP drivers from the CD
- But at that point I didn't know that these drivers are incompatible with OS10.6; so not only was reinstalling them useless, it looks like uninstalling them in the first place was actually the thing that destroyed the functionality of scanning through Preview and Image Capture (which probably had been working until I uninstalled the HP software, but since I didn't know I was supposed to use these applications to scan under OS10.6, I never tried that!).
- Having reinstalled the OS10.6 drivers from the above link, scanning through Preview/ System Preferences/ Image Capture now works as it's supposed to: go to System Preferences, open "Print and Scan", add the printer, click on scan, and it works!
Hope this will work for others as well.
NOTE TO HP: if uninstalling HP software indeed destroys (some of the) print/scan functionality of OS10.6, you guys really (i) need to be more proactive in warning people about this, and (ii) fix this!
You should have foreseen that
- Most people when upgrading to OS10.6 will still continue to try to use the old HP software - how was I supposed to know that OS10.6 means you now have to go through Preview?
- Upon finding out that the HP software doesn't work, most people will uninstall and reinstall;
- Which creates the problem in the first place if by doing so they damage the OS10.6 scanner drivers!