Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you soo much - that worked like a charm!  #thanksfornothinghp #neveragainhp

HP Recommended

Great work!

This hack works for my 8625 while the 8610 hack did not.

I am now back to firmware 1416AR from the previous 1547AR.

All my previous carts work!

Thanks again,

Ron

HP Recommended

More sad customers needing help so I wanted to thank the contributors and bump the thread once again. What a shame they would do this.

Also went in an enabled web services and turned auto-updates off then figured I really didn't need web-services anyway so just disabled that completely. 

#HPDamaged

HP Recommended

I had the same issue with my 8620 and your files successfully resolve it.  Now I can print beautiful pages with the "damaged" cartridges again.

HP Recommended

Healthtonics, thank you very much.  Your fix worked for my HP 8620.

HP Recommended

I just discovered that direct links to the manual and firmware I posted here were censored, officialy due to posting some "private information that could lead to an individual being identified" (ehm...), but at least Google can find the right pages, so I'm not giving you any direct link but just a general advice to check Google for phrases such as "How to downgrade firmware on officejet pro 8610 allow old" or similar ones and you should quickly find the right links for the proper firmware for 8610.

HP Recommended

@brozkeff and @Healthtonics thanks for sharing technical assistance and links to firmware downgrades. My 8620 is now working fine, no problem with the cartridges

Incidentally I noticed I've had auto-updates disabled all this time. I never installed software from the HP install disk, I'm using standard HPLIP drivers in Linux (Ubuntu &  Debian on my desktop and laptop respectively),  but it hasn't stopped the printer updating itself (I've seen it showing  "checking for updates" message every now and then when switched on).  I've now blocked it from accessing the internet on my router settings. I can live without being able to print sudoko puzzles directly from the net 😉

Having bought an HP because they're one of the few companies that makes printers that work nicely with Linux, I'm afraid this total contempt for their users has lost them my future custom.

HP Recommended

Here's an interesting link article:

http://askbobrankin.com/hp_playing_dirty_tricks.html

HP Recommended

So now Dropbox has restricted those files and they are no longer accessible...

Man, this is getting really dirty...

HP Recommended

Is there any way to PM me a link for the files downgrade my 8610's ??? Every link I try has been removed. Even Amazon is censoring reviews and questions that put HP in a bad light.

Thanks so much.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.