Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Photo Envy printer-recent purchase and having same issues.  After much frustration, and I'm not sure how I figured this out, but after I cropped a downloaded image in MS word and vertically flipped it in the draw function the images seemed to printout ok. This is a bit time consuming.   Also used the paint program as suggested and this worked too, however I'm not very proficient in ms paint.  I sure wish someone would correct this problem. I'm thinking of re-hooking up my old printer..Thanks for the help though.

HP Recommended

So it's 2017 and I had the same problem (HP Color Laserjet Pro M252dw) . I found a quick solution having read the helpful messages here. Copying then pasting into any piece of software (I used Fireworks), then copying and pasting into Word works. Stupid issue, long overdue for a fix

HP Recommended

Hello,

It is now August 2017 and this problem with new HP printers automatically cropping pasted images in MS Word (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit at 125% screen magnification) is on-going.  It's been two or three years since this problem was posted on the HP forum.

I recently had to toss out my HP 7520 (it was emotional because I loved HP 7520) and buy a new printer.  I decided on HP because I had such a great experience with HP 7520, and I thought I'd have it again.  (The verdict remains out on that one, I am sorry to say).  I bought OfficeJet 6978 and experienced the pasting/cropping/printing issues that some HP printer users reported for the very first time.  Never had a problem with HP 7520.  Haven't changed anything with my OS, screen resolution or screen magnification since then or even before HP 7520's printhead quit on me.  Not sure why HP changed that setting and refuse to admit it, opting to instead "pass the buck" onto MS Windows.  If it happened with 7520, then sure, I would accept it as a Windows/MS issue, but it didn't.  It happened for the very first time with 6978.  It prints fine and scans fine.  It even copies fine.  It even prints pictures in MS Word fine.  It's only particular to "pasted" pictures (such as pictures you snip/cut from the Internet or from another app/software/program and copy/cut then paste into Word). 

I refuse to do the wild goose chase.  That is, uninstall the software then reinstall it.  Everything works fine... except for that little "paste" feature.  If I open an image in MS Word, fine.  No problem.  It's only when I "paste" something into MS Word.  For example, I want to show my hairdresser a certain hairstyle I want.  I cut/snip that image off of the Internet then paste it into MS Word, then print it so I can show her.  CROPPED!  Never happened with 7520.

Anyway, the PDF idea works.  It really does.  I don't know why.  But it works.  It's a pain in the neck because printing should be automatic.  So far, I give OfficeJet 6978 a C-.  I want the HP 7520!!!

Thank you for allowing me to vent here and thank you for the PDF idea.

Kudos.

HP Recommended

I also discovered another method to beat this vexing printing problem.

Save any cut/snipped image into JPEG or any preferred format.  Then insert into MS Word.  No cropping issues.

HP Recommended

@Pooka780 wrote:

I use the Snipping Tool quite often.  Since purchasing the HP Envy 4500 printer, when I paste snipped images to Word, the image looks fine in Print Preview.  However, when I print the document, the snipped image is enlarged and does not fit in the pasted area.  I only get a portion of the image on paper.

I have HP ENVY 5640 and have solved this problem by saving the Word document as PDF and then printing the PDF.

HP Recommended

THANK GOODNESS - FINALLY an EASY way to get my durn HP ENVY 5540 to quit enlarging all of my cropped pix and only printing part of them. Changing the document to a PDF. Of course, how horrible that HP has not fixed this issue after years of it going on. and NO IT IS NOT A MICROSOFT issue - it is a HP issue and a really a bizarre one. I can't tell you how many HOURS I have played around with every setting on EVERY program, reloaded my drivers and on and on. This only started when I bought the ENVY 5540. I can't rememeber what I had before but it was an HP, which I love for everything EXCEPT cropping. All the other resolutions were a major pain the the you-know-what !!

HP Recommended

This is for the HP staff who reads through these posts to see any potential problems with their products/services.

Here is the proof that it is the newer HP printers that are responsible for the issues with "pasted images" (as opposed to "inserted images... pasted images are the result of a cut-and-paste job, moving one image from one platform to another.  Inserted images are the results of inserted images from files, such as .JPEG, .BMP, etc.), not Windows or any other software/operating system platform.  This is a problem solely the fault of HP.

For many years, I cut-and-pasted many images from the Internet and printed them out via my HP 7520 printer with no problems.  That means I have countless documents (MS Word 2010 and MS Excel 2010 on Windows 7) with pasted images in my files that the new HP 6978 will not be able to print, unless I first convert them to PDF... if I remember to do that before I print whatever I want to print.

If I created a document with an inserted image (by using "Insert" tab and clicked on "Picture" in the "Illustrations" group within MS Word 2010), then there was no problem printing out that. 

This problem only affects "pasted images".  Which means that I now have to go back and redo all my documents again.  I am a family historian and I used the "copy image" option on the right-click menu when hovering over an image (could be an image of a document, for example) on the Internet.  It doesn't matter what browser it is; Firefox or IE.  The fact that this includes the Internet should suggest to HP that it is not a Windows issue, but a HP printing issue.  It also happens when the snipping tool is used. 

That is the proof I am giving to HP.  How could I print anything I wanted with pasted images with HP 7520 before it died and I had to buy HP 6978 and suddenly, I cannot print pasted images unless I first save them as a file then inserted them into documents.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello, @privatename

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help 🙂

Try the steps listed below to try and fix the issue:

• In Word, click on "File" - "Options".
  • Click on "Display" - Select the box which says "Print background colors and images".
  • Click Ok to save the settings and then try to print.

If the issue is specific to the MS word package, then try these steps to try and fix the issue:

Go to Control panel - Devices and printers - Right-click on your printer and select "Printing Preferences". Click on "Advanced" tab and make sure the "Advanced printing features" are enabled. Now try to print. If the issue persists, go to the next step.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for joining this thread Dvortex but, respectfully, your suggestions do not correct the problem.  Others have offered the same recommendations and they simply do not work.

I posted on this thread back in April 2015 (and other message boards on the same subject) after I purchased an HP Envy 4500 and have been using the workaround since that time.  It's time-consuming and very frustrating.  My previous HP printers worked perfectly but, when they broke down, I decided I didn't need all the bells and whistles and bought the modestly priced HP Envy which suits my needs quite well (except for this one problem).  At first, I thought that the problem with printing pasted images was because the printer was not a deluxe model but have since learned that many HP printers have the same issue.  And I don't want to switch to another make because I love the HP Instant Ink program. 

Surely your technicians can come up with a fix.  Or acknowledge that there is a problem with pasted images on certain models and let us know which of your printers on the market are problem free.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Dear Dvortex,

I tried your two suggestions.

1.  So far, the first one works---so far.  After making the changes you recommended, I created a new document in MS Word, searched for a large, pasteable image on the Internet (ex. wildflowers) and right-clicked on the image to copy it into MS Word.  Then, without resizing the image, I printed it.  It printed fine and printed in the size I saw on the screen.  I also tried again with a different image of wildflowers (images come in variety of sizes and resolutions, as you may know) and it worked fine.  I'm not accepting it as a solution because it is too early to tell, but all early testing shows that this solution has high promise.

Question then becomes how come I have to change a setting that was not changed before?  And, why didn't this solution appear in other posts about this particular issue across several/most, if not all, current/new HP printers.  I am aware I am not alone and frustrated with my new HP printer, locking myself in the office for days wearing only my grimy underwear trying to fix this problem. 

2.  I did not try this solution because, when following your instructions to the letter, I did not see "Advanced printing features".  What I saw after I clicked on the Advanced tab was a short list of options under "HP Officejet Pro 6970 Advanced Document Settings". I did not see anything that looked like "Advanced printing features".

For this particular computer and printer, after I click on "Printing Preferences", a small window appears with three tab headers "Layout", "Paper Quality" and "Printing Shortcut".  Both the Layout and Paper Quality tabs have an Advanced tab in them.  This Advanced tab, regardless of which tab header I am in, leads me to the same place, "HP Officejet Pro 6970 Advanced Document Settings".

In conclusion, for now... I will use the first solution and see how it goes for me.  So far, it appears promising, but I cannot accept it as a solution because it is too early to tell.

Thank you for your input, Dvortex.  I appreciate it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.