Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart B109n
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hey folks,

After having an issue with my B109n where it would only print about a quarter of a page of whatever I was sending it wirelessly, I decided to uninstall the software, reset the printer (whilst the printer is idle and quiet, removing power for at least 60 seconds,  In this case, it was 5 minutes) and start it from scratch again.  It always printed via USB, but due to its location, its not practical, hence the reason I got the wireless printer.

I reinstalled the software, succesfully test printed to USB.  When i attempted to configure it to work wirelessly, it seemed to connect to my router, but kept giving me this message:

"Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.205.227, which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.1.82 of the PC. Power off your printer and then power on and wait 60 sec for the printer to acquire an IP address. Then click Retry."

I have reset the printer as it told me to, rebooted the router, tried a different laptop and was about to sacrifice a small child to whichever deity may be watching.

Before I take that step, can anybody suggest anything to help?  I printed out the wireless network test report, and everythign is a pass.  Configuration source is autoip, yet the IP address is the default address 169.254.205.227

I can get DHCP on all my other devices, so I dont think the router is to blame.

HelP!!

Lat

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@TheLatman,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are unable to print on the wireless network from your HP Photosmart All-in-One Printer series - B109 as you get an error message about limited connectivity.

This issue could occur the static IP is not assigned to the printer.

Let's go through a few steps to resolve this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link to assign a static IP:

1. On the product control panel, touch the Setup button.

2. Scroll to and touch the Service menu.

3. Scroll to and touch the Restore Defaults button, and then touch the OK button.

The product automatically restarts.

Now reconfigure the printer and this time assign a static or manual IP address and check. Follow the procedure below to assign a static ip address or watch our Youtube video

• Obtain the IP address of the printer (which can found by pressing the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel)
  • Enter the IP address on the web browser (Ex: chrome, IE) to enter the printer EWS page.
  • Go to the “Network” tab, click on “Wireless (802.11) then click on “Network address (IPV4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the Photosmart b109 doesn't have those options. Within the wireless settings are a couple of options for printing network config, and reset to default.

When setting it up, It is initially setup as a USB printer, then you use the installation software to program the wireless details to the printer via the pc.

I can get to this stage, the setup program shows he printer connecting but the printer doesn't seem to be picking up DHCP and displays the default IP address.

Thanks,

Lat
HP Recommended

@TheLatman,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

I request you to follow the steps according to options on the printer menu:

1. Select the reset to default option Within the wireless settings and then turn off the router.

2. Turn off the printer. 

3. Turn on the router and then the printer.

4. Insert the product Software CD in the computer CD-ROM drive.

5. Follow the instructions on the screen. When you are prompted, connect the product to the computer using the USB setup cable included in the box. The product will attempt to connect to the network. If the connection fails, follow the prompts to correct the problem, and then try again.

6. When the setup is finished, you will be prompted to disconnect the USB cable and test the wireless network connection. Once the product connects successfully to the network, install the software on each computer that will use the product over the network.

You may also refer page no. 6 from the user guide in the link: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01894737

Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Hello,

I had already tried these steps. But I did try them again with the same result.

The printer sees and connects to the wireless router, but will not get a dhcp address.

I tried a different device (another laptop) on my wireless network to make sure dhcp was being issued and I did get an address. I tried to register my printer with that laptop but again it failed to get an address.

Thanks

Lat
HP Recommended

@TheLatman,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

I request you to perform a network drain by following the steps provided below: 

1. Turn off the router then printer and then the computer.

2. Turn on the router then printer and then the computer

Use Push Button (PBC) method to connect the printer to the network:

1. On Home Screen, press button next to Scan.

2. Press button next to Wireless Menu.

3. Press button next to WPS.

4. Press button next to Push Button.

5. Press corresponding button on the WPS-enabled router.

6. Press OK.

7. Install software.

NOTE: The product begins a timer for approximately two minutes in which the corresponding button on the networking device needs to be pressed.

You may also refer page no. 5 from the printer manual in the link: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01894737

Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I had previously tried this, I did try it again just now and it has the same result when trying to configure it:

Your printer has limited connectivity. Your printer is using IP address 169.254.205.227, which is not compatible with the IP address 192.168.1.82 of the PC. Power off your printer and then power on and wait 60 sec for the printer to acquire an IP address. Then click Retry.

Its really puzzling!

HP Recommended

You wrote "it seemed to connect to my router". But that 169.* IP address means it did not in fact connect with the router. IP addresses beginning with 169 mean that the device can only talk to itself. So the problem is between the printer and the router and has nothing to do with the computer. And since they connected previously, I would assume that the WiFi signal is plenty strong.

Does the router require a password or some other authentication?

Since you mention a 10.* IP address in one of the messages, I suspect you are in a large office. If this is the case, I would check with the network admins to see if the router options have changed.

It probably is not a problem with either the printer or the router per se, but a conflict in setup between the two.

Edward

HP Recommended

Hey Edward,

Its a home printer connecting to my BT Homehub 5 wireless router.  There is a password associated with the SSID, but this is entered when you select the SSID during the wireless setup part pf the HP installation wizard.

I work from home (Telecoms Field Engineer) , and use my company VPN to connect to the corprate network.   On one of my attempts, I hadn't disconnected the VPN (Hence the 10.* IP address - I've edited that with the correct local IP address that it has complained about from thsi laptop ), however, when I realised this, i removed the VPN connection and reattempted it.

Yes, I mentioned that it "seemed to connect to my router", I wrote that as the connection test page (typed below) indicated it had.

On the Wireless network test report printed page (Selected from  the front panel), it displays:

Wireless on - Pass

Wireless Networking - Pass

Network Name (SSID) found - Pass

Security - Pass

Printer Settings Consistent with wireless router settings - Pass

No Filtering - Pass 

Connected - Pass

Signal Strength - Excellent

Other networks detected matching your network name (SSID) - No

Wireless Networks Detected - 6

Downlkink Count - 2423

Channel - 1

Network Name - (Correct WLAN Name is displayed here)

Hardware Address (MAC) - Correct printer MAC Is displayed here

IP Address: 169.254.205.227

COnfiguration Source - AutoIP

Communication Mode - Infrstructure

Authentication Type - WPA-PSK

Encryption - Automatic (AES or TKIP)

Im aware this is between the printer and router, and not the computer, as I have tried 3 different laptops with Win 10 and Win 7,  in fact, I'm starting to suspect the nic on the printer as it was behaving very strangely with regards to wireless print jobs, but always behaved on USB connected print jobs as I previously mentioned.

HP Recommended

Hmm. Hard to say without another printer to try ... my first thought would be possibly (just barely) another WiFi network with the same name, but in your line of work you would surely have noticed that.

Obviously the printer isn't giving you any useful diagnostics, since everything looks fine except that it didn't get an IP address.

Have you looked at the router to see what it thinks is going on with DHCP clients? It might give you more information than the printer does. Depending on the router, it might even keep a log. I'm wondering if there's confusion because the printer is trying to get a new IP address but the router remembers the printer's MAC address and they are fighting ... perhaps clear all references to the printer in the router? I'm grasping at straws, but I know you are too ...

Edward

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.