cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
lt4buckeyes
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Printer Issues when connected to a 5 GHZ router

HP Recommended

I have spent countless hours trying to eliminate any other variables and have narrowed this down to a guaranteed source of the problem.

I have an OfficeJet 8600 n911n All In One connected on an R7000 Netgear Nighthawk via 2.4 GHZ (only wireless way).  I am using a Dell Studio 15 (Windows 7 premium 64bit) connected to the same router via 5 GHZ.  Everything works fine 50% of the time, but the other 50% I have issues connecting to this printer.  Print jobs fail and any two way communication is halted, rendering the printer useless.  Staic IPs have been used, IP reservation on the router, firewall settings have all been evaluated.  It comes down to this...when my PC is attached wirelessly via 2.4 GHZ, I have ZERO problems.  Now there have been numerous posts claiming this cannot be the problem , because once connected, neither device knows how the other is connected.  This may be a router issue or just an issue with one of the devices, but it is an issue.  Has anyone encountered the same problem and figured what would cause this.  I really appreciate the LAN speeds of 5 GHZ, as I transfer data continuously via my LAN.  I do understand that the 2.4 GHZ speeds are certainly enough for the internet and wireless printing, but I like the 5 GHZ and the dedicated no interference band.

Any help or comments would greatly be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
ShlomiL
Level 17
Level 17
32,846 28,003 5,559 12,146
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The HP printer only support 2.4GHz, I affraid that the coputer will not be able to communicate with the printer once it is connected using 5GHz.

You may find more information within the Dual Band section below:

http://www.hp.com/global/us/en/wireless/wireless-network-help.html

Hope it clarifies,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
peelage
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is 2015 and I am still have 5GhZ wireless printer issues still. Amazing. Your post is from almost 2 years ago. You'd think that they'd be able to figure it out. Looks like I will be going back to 2.4ghz on all devices. :HalfEyes:

dct1954
Level 1
12 7 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I determined I had a wireless phone interfering with the 2.4ghz transmission/reception of the printer. I changed my phone to a 5.8ghz and the problem subsided which I assume my 2.4ghz garage door opener and/or microwave might be doing their best to interfere as well.

You might also try a wifi interference detector to see what it shows.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation