cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
egiraffe Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Printer error: client-error-not-possible

Hi all,

When I try to print off my Photosmart 2710 I keep getting this error message: client-error-not-possible

I just reinstalled with the latest driver for Leopard, but it's still not working. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Ellen

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Retired
Retired
20,508 20,434 1,425 4,864
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Delete and re-add the printer in the print queue:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Select the printer in question and click the minus sign at the bottom of the list
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

If this does not work, do the same thing, only instead of the second step, right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
AndréSchlegel Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok, I tryed that and it didnt work. I have two hp printers, a D2460 at work and a Premium 309g at home. I use a Macbook Air running 10.5.8. At work I connect through the USB port but at home I use wi-fi. To make matters worse my wife has a MacbookPro and she can print at home. At home I can connect to the printer and check ink status and such, I can even print test pages, but that is it. Every time I try to print a doc I get the client-error-not possible. Actually, at first the document just sits in the print queue STOPPED, when I have it reloaded I get the infamous message. Same thing at work. Oh, and at work, if I connect the USB cable to a PC it prints flawlessly. I already ordered 10.6, but in the meantime I cant print. Any thoughts? Thx in advance.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you have already ordered Snow Leopard let's get you ready for it (and probably fix the issue in Leopard as well).  Snow Leopard generally does not require HP software for either print or scan.  Leopard needs it for scanning.  So this fix will disable your ability to scan until Snow Leopard is installed, but you will prepare your system for the installation.

Uninstall the HP software in this special way:

Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ click on HP Uninstaller
Click on Continue
Highlight your device on the left pane
Hold the Ctrl, Opt and Cmd keys and click on Uninstall
There will be a pop up that asks if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL hp software. (At this point, if you continue, any HP printers you have installed will need to be reinstalled)
Click Continue and let it finish

Now, run a Software Update.

Next, reset the printing system:

- Sys Prefs, Print & Fax
- Right (control) click the print queue area and select Reset Printing System.
- Select the plus sign to re-add it. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
ashleyt88 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my Deskjet D1660.  I have gone through what was recommended in the post and have not got the printer working again.  Any help you could offer would be appreciated!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ashleyt88, what version of OS X are you using?  From where did you get the software for your printer?

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
abgal Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same message on my HP Photosmart C310, tried your suggestion to delete and re-add the printer in the system preferences - it worked! Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
JessicaWisdom Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've been having the same problem, and these steps did not resolve it.  Please, any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Details:

Mac OS 10.5.8

HP Officejet 6500A Plus

When I try to re-add the printer in Printer & Fax, I am told "Some of the software for the printer is missing."  It worked for a month before having this problem.  Right around when it started to fail, I had tried to use a non-HP ink cartridge which was rejected, and I'd also installed software for an old HP Officejet G55xi—I assume one of these is related.  I tried downloading a new driver and installing the software again, but when I hook my laptop up to the printer by USB to complete the setup, it fails to communicate with the printer.  It also requires a fax number, which I don't have, and wasn't required the first time I set-up.  Is there a specific website download I should use to reinstall the proper software?  Should I be uninstalling the software before installing, too?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Uninstall all HP software.  Restart.

Download and install this: HP Printer Drivers for 10.5

Install the OLDEST printer software (for your G55) first.  Get the latest software for your printer from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page.  Restart.

Finally, load the software for the 6500A.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
JessicaWisdom Top Student
Top Student
6 5 0 0
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you.  That got the printing to work, for the most part, but there is no driver for an HP Officejet 6500 ("HP Officejet J6400 series" lets it print okay).  And I still can't scan to this comptuer.  How do I make it scan?  I know that this is a very new HP printer; do I need Lion to operate it?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation