Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4520
iOS

Windows 10, home wireless network, HP Envy 4520 and HP Photosmart 6520 on network

Both printers are available and will print from Windows notesbooks on the network.  

From the ipad Air2 and ipad Pro 9.7 with ios 11.   When printing from files, apps or the internet to the HP Envy 4520, this  message appears:

Printing to "HP ENVY 4520

series [B6FE4B]"

Contacting printer ....

Sometimes this message just stays until canceled, sometimes  "Contacting printer ..." changes to "The printer is offline" 

The printer was not offline and did not go offline and no documents appear in queue.

If I select the 6520 instead, it prints immediately.

I have placed both printers in the same location very close to the internet router and that did not help.

This problem seems to have started after the ios upgrade which makes me wonder about compatibilty issues with the 4520?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@sdrowngf

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have the HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer and the HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer. I read that post an iOS update, both these prints have stopped printing from the iPad Air2 and iPad Pro 9.7. I read that the printers work fine from a Windows based computer. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

I recommend you to use the HP Smart app on your iPads and to print and scan from both these printers. 

If the issue persists then please try to configure the Airprint again on the iPads.

If the printer continues to not print from the iPads then you can try using the Wi-Fi direct feature on your printer to connect the printer directly to the iOS device. Connect your Apple iOS device directly to the printer with Wi-Fi Direct or HP wireless direct as suggested below:

1. On the printer, make sure a solid blue light is on next to the Wi-Fi Direct/HP wireless direct button  or an Wi-Fi Direct/HP wireless direct  icon displays on the control panel.

2. Press the Wi-Fi Direct/HP wireless direct button or navigate the control panel menu settings to find and touch Wi-Fi Direct/HP wireless direct.

3. On your Apple iOS device, tap Settings, and then tap Wi-Fi.

4. Under the Choose a network menu, select your printer. The printer name begins with DIRECT.

If prompted, type a password. The default password is 12345678.

Now, try the steps below to print:

1. In the app that you want to print from, tap the Action icon ( or ) to display the menu options.
  2. Tap Print. The Printer Options menu displays.
  3. On the Printer Options menu, tap Select Printer. A list of available printers on the network displays.
  4. Tap your HP ePrint printer in the drop-down menu. The Printer Options menu displays again and shows your selected printer.
  5. If you do not need to change print options, tap Print to send the print job to the HP printer.

Let me know how that goes!

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hello Sdrowngf,

It helps a lot if you reply to the tips provided by MKazi, so as to provide additional help or rather it worked?  That helps others who may post with this problem.  Thank you.   I am not an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I spent a couple of hours online with Apple support on this issue.  They captured a log of the print attempts and their suppprt engineers are looking at it.  Their thoughts at this point is that the 4520 is not compatiable with the newest version of iOS but that is not yet firm.

I will post any developments here when I get them.

HP Recommended

We loaded an app called Printer Pro by Readdle.  This is the only method we have found that allows printing to the HP 4520 under iOS11.0.1 

HP Recommended

Hello again sdrowngf,

That's wonderful and your information may help others.  Here is one review of Printer Pro:

https://www.technewsworld.com/story/74864.html

HP Recommended

Hello all:

I offer no solution to HP's apparentl lack of updating their priner software for iOS 13.  But here is one tip.

Printing from Ipad to HP wireless printers, 4520 and 6520

Sdrowngf on below thread.  He downloaded Printer Pro app on this thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Printing-from-Ipad-to-HP-wireless-printers-4520-and-65...

link to a review of Printer Pro

https://www.technewsworld.com/story/74864.html

I am not an HP employee, but in my spare time look for answers.  Good luck.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.