cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
wellman71
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Problem with missing colors when printing

HP Recommended

It has been sugested by HP that I try this forum for help.

The following is a copy of the email I sent them which describes my problem, I hopesomeone can help! Thanks.

language_code : en
language : English
Country of Residence : France
product_line : 83
product_oid : 59868
product_name : HP Deskjet 840c Printer
part_number : C6414K,C6414J,C6414A,C6414G,C6414N,C6414H
purchase month : 8
purchase year : 1996
problem area : color and print quality problems
serial number : [Text removed for privacy]
operating system : Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32
How is your product connected to your PC? : USB Cable
problem description : When I try to print a page containing coloured items the coloured parts fail to print. (The items are totally missing, they are not replaced by grey scale images) I have done all the usual things as per list:-

troubleshooting : 1) Rebooted my computer.
2) Disconnected the USB cable and reconnected it.
3) Changed the colour cartridge.
4) Examined the printer settings in the control Panel, colour is selected and all other settings seem normal.
5) De-selected the printer as the "Default Printer" and re-installed it.
6) Run software that checks the driver is up to date and it is.
7) Printed the built in test page "beautiful color made easy" only the header and footer print,no colour!
setting changes : No, nothing has been changed.

PS. I have owned my printer for many years and cannot remember the purchase date.
tech skill : Intermediate
first name : Grant
last name : W[text removed for privacy]

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
kkcb9395
Level 7
Level 7
985 984 74 294
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi  - Go ahead and try the steps in this document.  It will walk you through cleaning the contacts on both the cartridge and in the carriage.  What can happen over time is ink residue can accumulate on the contacts preventing the ink cartridges from working properly.  If this doesn't resolve the issue, try setting the cartridge with the nozzles face down on a damp paper towel for about 45 seconds just to resolve any problems with the ink nozzles.

Hope that helps.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
Bob_Headrick
Level 16
Level 16
33,324 26,679 2,426 8,984
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In addition to the steps mentioned check the warranty dates on the cartridges as shown here.  If they are years past the warranty period it is possible the cartridges have failed, even if they were new in the box.  Also gently blot the printhead on a damp tissue to make sure that there are stripes of cyan, magenta and yellow color.  If there is not a strong color blot on the tissue the cartridges are probably the issue. 

The black-only test page confirms that the issue is in the printer or cartridges, not with the computer or drivers. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"

wellman71
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. Although when tested by wiping on a lint free paper there was ink produced you were correct in suspecting the problem was the age of the replacement cartridge. I purchased a further new one and it has solved my problem! Once again THANKS!!!

G M Wellman

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation