Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 1 (4,681 Views)

Redirect output from LPT1 to USB

I provide support to a small business client who has been using a DOS based application that is configured to print only to LPTx or COMx or FILE ports. Their old line printer with a parallel port to Centronix cable has recently developed mechanical problems and must be sent to recycling.

It is now replaced by a HP Deskjet D4160 printer connected to a USB port only. The client must continue to use the old program, at least for while, since his database is locked into the old DOS program.

Elsewhere on the internet I found a suggestion to setup a Microsoft Loopback Adapter, assign it a static IP address and then redirect output to the HP DJ D4160 printer using the networking command:

NET  USE  LPT1  \\computername\printername /PERSISTENT:YES

The problem is now the printer yields output that also contains characters like:   _(10U_(S10HU   etc. all over the printout to represent non alphanumeric characters from the original report format. I have tried resetting Print Processor from RAW to TEXT. It does not help.

Has someone found a way to send the output directed to LPT1 port to a printer connected to a USB port and get a reasonably legible printed output?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation