Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Scan does not see computer

HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Running Windows 7 OS and HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 on a Wi-Fi network and up until recently, it worked fine!  Printing, Scanning worked great.  However it seems with various Windows updates all of sudden I can no longer scan to my computer over a wireless network.

I've run every fix on the forum to no avail.  Scan doctor, firmware updates, resets, ad nauseum.  I've reloaded the software too.

Please help!

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
12,422 12,375 1,242 2,962
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the forum.

It may be that your IP address has changed.

Could you do the following :

1. Go to your printer and touch the wireless Icon, it should display the IP address.  Copy that down on a piece of paper.

2 Go to your PC > Programs > HP > OfficeJet Pro 8610 > Update IP address

3. Compare the IP address on the PC with that on the printer (that you've written on the piece of paper)

4. If it is different, update the IP address on the PC and "Test" to see if it's able to detect the printer and then "Save"!

See if you're able to scan now?

If it's still not working, we suggest that you might want to create a TCP IP port.

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
  2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
  3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
  4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Try to scan again and see if it works?

Hope that helps.

Please click the “Kudos Thumbs up” if this has helped you and “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem.

I am an HP Employee
Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greenturtle,

Thank you for your response and also providing a "new" option to attack this problem.  Unfortunately, neither of your suggestions seemed to work.  

When I select the option to "update IP address" my computer goes into a "new install setup screen"... https://www.dropbox.com/s/7e2p2wq8jpcqsr5/Screenshot%202015-11-17%2014.41.40.png?dl=0

Not to be thwarted, I follow the prompts which only leads to another dead end... https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uuth6zyq9g63uo/Screenshot%202015-11-17%2014.42.23.png?dl=0

I am still open to other ideas!

Thank you for your help,

Reid

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
12,422 12,375 1,242 2,962
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

We'll attempt to resolve your problem by using the Webscan.

First, we assume that your printer is installed via Network (either via Wireless or Ethernet connection)

1. Go to your printer and determine the IP address of printer e.g.  15.37.213.128
  2. Key the priner's IP address into your Internet Explorer web browser
  3. Go to Scan, there should be a Webscan option. If it says "You cannot use this function....", you'll need to enable it.
  4. Enabling Webscan : Click on "Settings"> "Security">"Adminstrator Settings" (just "Continue" if there are any warnings regarding Certificates)
  5. Under "Administrator Settings", there should be a "Webscan" option, make sure that is "Checked" and "Apply" or "Save" your settings.
  6. Go back to Scan and you should be able to see the options to Scan. Select "Document Source" to be "ADF", "Document Type" to be PDF and "Start Scan"!
  7. Once scanning is done, Right-click and save your file to the desired destination.

Hope that helps.

Please click the “Kudos Thumbs up” if this has helped you and “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem.

I am an HP Employee
Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem.
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greenturtle you Rock!  Thank you for providing a great source of relief!  Webscan does indeed work.  Clumsier than other avenues, but it works!

Now that the pressure is off, how about finding a longer term solution to my scanning woes?!

How do I get the scan function on the printer to recognize my computer?  And vice-versa, how do I get my computer to recognize the printer?  We've proven Webscan works, but how come other options don't?

My computer has an individual IP address.

My modem has an individual IP address.

My HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 has an individual IP address.

All three use the same WiFi network from the individual modem mentioned above.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there

Did you actually resolve this problem? I have the same issue, and although a "workaround" has been given here that will allow you to scan using Webscan (great), from your last post it reads that in fact your problem still remains.

I've just posted a new thread to highlight this same issue: I can scan to my printer from my PC, but I can't initiate a scan using the controls on the printer itself... very frustrating

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

CambsHPuser,

You're perspective is correct.  Webscan is only a work around.  My original problem is just that, a problem!

The scan option is not available at all, going either direction; computer to printer or printer to computer.  Yes, very frustrating indeed!

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
4 3 0 1
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there

I had this problem fixed for me by GreenTurtle today. You can read the thread by searching for:

"Scan only works from the PC, not the scanner"

(Sorry, don't know how to link threads together)

Basic summary: reinstall the software

Highlighted
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have now officially thrown my hands up in disgust!  I have spent another hour and half uninstalling, deleting, rebooting and completely wiping my machine of HP printer software and only then to reload the HP printer software with absolutely no change in the problems I have experienced from day one.

There is a help link embedded in the help files of the Printer Setup that goes something like this: UNABLE TO FIND THE PRINTER, Reinstalling software using "Connect a New Printer"; If you have previously installed the printer software and are trying to reinstall the same printer by using the CONNECT A NEW PRINTER feature, the printer software will not recognize the printer during the installation.  You must first uninstall the printer software, and then install the software again.

Well, ladies and gentleman, I have gone far and beyond the call of duty on this.  I have wiped my machine of HP printer files using CCleaner, rebooted the machine several times and quite frankly have wasted all week on this senseless endeavor.

Best of luck to you frustrated users out there.  Until HP owns up to their own product and fixes this bug, I will never buy another HP product again.

Please do not respond.  I'm done.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation