Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 3 (1,932 Views)

Scanjet 5590 Windows 7 64 bit install

I have a Scanjet 5590.  Not HP's best effort and has always been problematic.

I am moving it to a new computer with Win7-64 bit and it will not install.  The install process seems to go fine but, when I try to use the scanner, I get a Windows error message:  "The HP imaging device was not found.  Try the following steps ..."  

I followed them.  I uninstalled and reinstalled 6 times.

Windows Device Manager shows it as installed with a yellow exclamation point.   When I double click on the item, it says:

"Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18).  To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

So, I go to reinstall and tell it to find the drivers and get:

"The best driver software for your device is already installed.  Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.   HP scanjet 5590"

I have used the full install I downloaded from the HP website.  No go ... with multiple uninstalls/reinstalls.  I went back and downloaded setup_EMC_5590_14-5 (TWAIN drivers and utilities) - that goes through the extraction and looks like it should run, but nothing happens.  I can't find a way to just download a ZIP of the TWAIN drivers, so the EXE is my only option ... and it doesn't seem to work. 

If I can't get this working today, I think it's time to move onto Canon, Epson, or Brother - if you have any good advice on that end, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.  

0 Kudos
PhD Student
Message 2 of 3 (1,855 Views)

Re: Scanjet 5590 Windows 7 64 bit install

Keith_Rosenfeld,

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial printer. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/ .

I hope this helps.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Message 3 of 3 (1,686 Views)

Re: Scanjet 5590 Windows 7 64 bit install

I have a Scanjet 5590.  Not HP's best effort and has always been problematic.

I am moving it to a new computer with Win7-64 bit and it will not install.  The install process seems to go fine but, when I try to use the scanner, I get a Windows error message:  "The HP imaging device was not found.  Try the following steps ..."  

I followed them.  I uninstalled and reinstalled many times.

Windows Device Manager shows it as installed.   When I double click on the item, it says:

"Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18).  To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

So, I go to reinstall and tell it to find the drivers and get:

"The best driver software for your device is already installed.  Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.   HP scanjet 5590"

I have used the full install I downloaded from the HP website.  No go ... with multiple uninstalls/reinstalls.  I went back and downloaded setup_EMC_5590_14-5 (TWAIN drivers and utilities) - that goes through the extraction and looks like it should run, but nothing happens.  I can't find a way to just download a ZIP of the TWAIN drivers, so the EXE is my only option ... and it doesn't seem to work. 

If I can't get this working today, I think it's time to move onto Canon, Epson, or Brother - if you have any good advice on that end, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation