cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
redz1115 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Scanning multiple pages into 1 PDF with Snow Leopard & HP C3180

Using Leopard with my Photosmart C3180, scanning several pages into one PDF was intuitive, thanks to a drop-down window that appeared after the first page was scanned, asking if there was another page. You could scan dozens and dozens of pages that would go into that one PDF. Snow Leopard has made the HP Device Manager inoperable, and while the overall scan interface seems easier, there doesn't seem to be a way to scan a 2nd or 3rd or 4th page into a single PDF.

The following sequence illustrates how I now scan, using Snow Leopard and my C3180 ... Hope it helps anyone who might be looking for help. But can someone help with the problem of scanning multiple pages into a single PDF? There is no longer a message or an option or a button, asking if there are any subsequent pages. Thanks.

Apple Menu > System Pref > Print & Fax > Scan> Open Scanner > (Overview Scan appears on screen) > (on grey screento right of Overview Scan, name the file, select location & format, makeadjustments) > Scan

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Blue_Melnick Tutor
Tutor
3 3 1 1
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

redz1115,

Here's what I did to make it work....

Open Preview, select File Menu --> Import from Scanner --> Select your scanner.  The Import from "Your Scanner Name" window will appear.

Click Show Details button --> Adjust your settings for color and size, uncheck "Detect Separate Items", change the format to PDF --> Click Scan

When its done scanning, preview will open up your new one page PDF.  At that point, change your document in the scanner, and click the scan button again... Preview will add the new scan to the same open document.

Hope that helps.

Blue 

redz1115 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Blue -

This is terrific, but I had one problem. Preview didn't add the new scan to the same open document. I ended up with 2 separate and distinct PDF docs on my desktop, where I chose to drop them. I had to drag the little scan of the 2nd page (which along with any other pages scanned, shows to the right of the large image, all in Preview) -- up and drop it on top of the first page, still on the right of the large image. This created a multi-page PDF. I don't have Acrobat Standard, which I bet you have and which makes the whole task a little easier ... but I'm satisfied now that Apple and HP didn't leave the 3100 series out in the cold when it comes to multi-page PDFs. Thanks for your help! 

redz1115 

0 Kudos
Blue_Melnick Tutor
Tutor
3 3 1 1
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

redz1115,

Just did a 2nd test, and it seems you are correct.   I was over zealous in my thinking that it created multi-page PDFs... rather, it just opens multiple files, then you have to do what you said, which is drag one on top of the other.

I just cam up with a new solution:

Automator

I've created a service that shows up when image files are selected called "create multi page PDF". Very very easy to do:

Open automator,

select service,

at the top where it says Service receives selected.... first drop down: image files ... 2nd drop down: Finder

From the library, select PDFs, then drag "New PDF from Images" from the 2nd column into the window on the right.

In the window on the right, I set the options to show this action when the workflow runs, and show only the selected items.... then selected the top one (save output to) so I could rename each pdf I create.

Next I figured I would want to open the new pdf in Preview, just in case the pages are out of order, so from the Files & Folders area on the left, found Open Finder Items and draged it under the New PDF from Images on the right.  Selected Preview from the drop down.

clicked save, and named it "New Multi-Page PDF"

Now when I select any number of image files, and right click on one, there is an option at the bottom that says "New Multi-Page PDF"... I select that, and a new multi page pdf opens in preview where I can re-organize the pages if needed.

Blue 

0 Kudos
redz1115 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Blue -

This makes sense ... I must have a different version of Automator, because I don't have some of the options you mention. However, I followed all the way to Save (started with the Custom selection when I first opened Automator > Under Library header, selected Files & Folders, then on the right, Open Finder Items -- I assume this is correct-?); here's my question - Did you use a straight "Save," and where did you save to? File Format, of course, is Workflow ...

Thanks again -

redz1115 

0 Kudos
Blue_Melnick Tutor
Tutor
3 3 1 1
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ahhh.. Yes... different version of Automator... I'm using Snow Leopard, which is not compatible with the HP software for my muli-function printer...

Hmmmm... I'm not sure what I would do for an older version of Automator, as I haven't really played with it much before now.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
265 255 23 190
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello,

I think the issue may be with the file format selected.   I believe you must select PDF as the saved file format, (eg not jpeg or tiff) to get multiple scans to combine into one PDF.

hope that works for you

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP) 

If this reply helped you, please say thanks by clicking the blue Kudos star.

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
dozybozo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

No. Choosing PDF file format makes no difference. 

0 Kudos
dozybozo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Solved! No it is not. Suggest HP should find an aircraft carrier to post "MIssion Accomplished" onto. 

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation