cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PJF8468
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Setting up Wireless connection on Port page?

I recently had to buy a new laptop, which came with Windows Vista.  I've had to get new drivers for my programs to work, including my 5850 Deskjet printer.  The 5850 doesn't have a driver, so someone recommended downloading the 5600 series driver.  My printer finally works with this driver using a USB plug, but I'm trying to get the wireless to work now, which did work with Windows XP that I had before.  Apparently, the 5600 doesn't have wireless, you had to buy an adapter.  Anyway, I already have the wireless in my laptop.  I can't figure out how to set it up.  When I try to have the computer detect it, it can't find it.  I've tried with the USB plug connecting the computer to the printer, I've connected the printer to the router.. nothing works.  I can't use the disk because it doesn't have a driver compatible with Windows Vista.  Is there someway I can set up the wireless connection on the Port Tab at the Printer Properties file?  Sorry for the long post but it's kinda complicated!  Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,869
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The 5600 driver only supports a USB connection, sorry.  I don't know of any alternatives other than:

- keep a USB connection

- go back to XP

- get a new printer - this is not a very expensive option and my recommendation 

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
PJF8468
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Okay, thanks for the info.

Paula

0 Kudos
PCforPresident
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I had the same issue and finally got it to work.  It may be more complicated than it needs to be, but this is how I did it.

First, install the 5600 driver that is recommended for this model. 

Then, from the start menu, enter "control printers" in the search box.  Right-click the icon for the 5600 driver, go to properties, then ports.  Change the port from the default LPT1 to a USB port

Plug the printer into a USB port and print a test page to make sure the printer is working.

Next, you can print a network configuration page by pressing the button on the front panel of the printer that shows a sheet of paper with a check mark.  On this page, it will show the IP address for the printer.

Go to properties-ports again, and select add a port - standard TCP/IP port.  In the printer name/IP address box, enter the IP address from the network configuration page you printed.  Set this new TCP/IP port you just created as the printer port, and print a test page.

That is all I had to do.  It may not work for everybody, but maybe it will save somebody the headache I had.

0 Kudos
PJF8468
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  I haven't had a chance to try it yet but will this week. 

Paula

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation