Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 5510 e-All-In-One

I have a new Lenovo Yoga laptop computer and I need to install my older HP Photosmart 5510 so that I can print.  When I try to use "Add a Printer" from my laptop, it can't find the printer.  The disc that came with the printer is for Windows XP, Vista, and 7.  My new laptop obviously has Win10.   I can't seem to find instructions online that help me.  I have some experience with technology, but apparently not enough to make this happen.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Follow these steps (Blue Dot) to get the IN-OS drivers for your printer.  (these steps are for Win 7 but Win 10 should be very similar)

1. Go to Devices and Printers > Add a printer 

1. Select "Add a local printer"

1. Use an existing port 

1.  Click on "Windows Update"  (may take a while to update - as long as 10 minutes!) and then "HP"

1.  Scroll until you find your printer model.

1. Click "Next" and walk through the rest of the steps to install your printer.

Do let us know if that helps.

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
HP Recommended

When I get to the part about the Windows Update, that is not an option on the screen/window.  Unless I'm supposed to look somewhere else for it? 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you get to the part on "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings"?

Then "Next" > "Use an existing port" > "Windows Update"

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks...I was able to add the printer, and since I have a new router I had to set that up, as well.  The printer said it was successful.  However, I am getting an error message and can't get the thing to print.  This may be completely a case of "user error" because I'm not techie.  😞  

I have tried running the trouble shooter, to no avail.

Update several hours later:  Found the HP Install Wizard on another question in these forums, and when I ran that, everything works!  (HP Scan & Print Doctor wasn't much use at all...)

HP Recommended

Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved and all is working well now.

Have a nice day!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.