Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 8620/8625
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been battling for months the issue of my HP 8625 going offline. This should also work for HP 8620. I have gone through support and what was suggested just did not work. I finally found a solution that works. It should probably help a bunch of people with this same issue.

I am running Windows 10 64-bit. The problem appears to be a Windows 10 issue on top of some setup things. I am using a D-Link router to provide wireless access. This solution should work for whatever router you have.

Briefly stated, here is my solution:

1. Assign you HP 8620/8625 a fixed IP address using the HP Officejet Pro 8620 software tool which you use to setup your printer. From this program select Utilities and then Update IP Address. This allows you to set a fixed IP address so that the printer always comes up with this IP address. The range and number I chose was unlikey to conflict with anything else on the wireless network. I used 192.168.0.245.  You might need to restart your printer after doing this.

2. Once I set up this IP address, I could finally scan from the printer using the HP Officejet Pro 8620 sofware (from Print, Scan & Fax select Scan a Document or Photo and follow the prompts from there).

3. But Windows 10 still would not print saying my 8620 was offline whenever I tired in Notepad or Word to print something. It started to sound like a Windows issue since the HP software was talking OK to the printer. So I did the following: Control Panel | Printer | View Devices and Printers | Add a Printer  | The pritner that I want isn't listed |  Add a printer using a TCP/IP addres or hostname | Next and follow the instructions to enter the IP address you gave your printer above. I would suggest naming your new printer something special so you easily find it. The old printer that was offline is still showing. 

4. Once that step above is completed, you should now be able to use your HP 8620/8625 without further hassle.  My printer is available after rebooting Windows 10 (which it never was, had to go downstairs and re-run Wireless setup, and then it would eventually disappear or not be available to Word). All my old headaches are gone. Hope yours are also.

Jim Brewer

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Thanks Jim! I had similar wireless issues after I upgraded to Windows 10 and things got a lot better after I set manual IPs.

The steps to set a manual IP for both the printer and the port is in Step 6 of this support document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249080

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

When I had this problem, no one from the HP Support orgaization gave a simple and direct answer to the problem. I wrote post for this reason. It is clean, clear, and highly readable. Your document is not.

HP Recommended

well.. I'm glad you wrote it. Hope it helps others out there.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

I also tried a lot of other suggestions including official solutions, but I have found the one at the top of this thread actually works! Thanks to the OP!

HP Recommended

the help links refered to lead to dead ends and broken links.  the fixed ip address seems to have best promise.  Really frustrating. everything worked fine under W7, and even W10 for quite a while.  Now I can bet that overnight or after some inactivity I might as well reboot the printer just before printing.

HP Recommended

Jim, I've had this problem for some time, have requested help in the HP Forums - without response - and would have pulled my hair out if I had any left! I Googled the same issue but with specifics about my HP model and discovered your solution to the problem. I tried it (even borrowing your printers IP address!) and it solved my problem! Thank you so much for taking the time to post it out there.

Best,

Dave Basham

HP Recommended

This worked for me.  After several months of following different suggestions I tried this.  Hp Support Assistant seems to have a slightly different name (different versions of Windows? different printer model?) so it took a little spelunking to get into the right program.  I must have been there before in another life as it had an IP address. So I said, oh well, and entered that in the box.  The program munched on that kernel of information for a while, belched, and went on to the end.  And, Voila!, things are working again.  Another anoying error message about scanning also dissappeared.  And problems printing from Android devices, while not entirely dissappearing, have diminished.

HP Recommended

your support doc link doesn't work....................The requested URL "[no URL]", is invalid

HP Recommended

OMG Thank you so much! Finally, a straightforward answer, plan and instructions to follow.  It worked first time for my Surface 3 and HP8620.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.