cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
jghiller
Level 2
24 16 1 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Using Wireless Direct

I cant seem to grasp the use and intent of Wireless Direct. I have the name for my HP7520 and in the manual it says to 'search for and connect' to the Wireless Direct name.

How does one search and connect, say from a smartphone, to the printer? What tool or app is used to enter the name and connect?

Once connected I can use a mobile app to print. Can you give me an example of a printing app on an iPhone?

Sorry for total confusion on this; I have been able to print from my iphone using the ePrint email address. I changed it to something a little simplier to code and remember. I have also been able to select the HP7520 for routing documents from my iPhone.

Just can grasp the functionality and use of Wireless Direct(and not having to use a router(thats another point of confusion)). What or where does the router come in to the picture for other printing?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Level 8
1,544 1,529 130 288
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Using Wireless Direct

Hi there, here is a link to a page explaining all about HP Wireless Direct and how to use it 

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-direct.html

Basically you can think of it as the printer having an ability to broadcast its own network signal, which you can connect to from the WiFi settings on your iPhone. The printers WiFi direct network name will be something like "HP-Print-XX-Photosmart 7520", where XX are two digits that identify your printer. In a standard wireless setup you need a router to enable the printer and the device you want to print from to talk to each other. Having a Wireless Direct printer means you don't need to use a router to be able to print wirelessly. 

Hope this information helps and post back if you've more questions after reviewing the information at the link above.

Best.

I am an HP employee.
If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.
jghiller
Level 2
24 16 1 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Using Wireless Direct

OK - I see where I can add my HP7520 printer name as a network to join on my iPhone. Now my question is what do I do to print to it using that method from my iPhone? I can print from my iPhone to the printer on my wireless network but I dont know what to do to use the printer name as the wireless network once I join to it with my iphone. 

0 Kudos
Level 8
1,544 1,529 130 288
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Using Wireless Direct

Hi there, if the iPhone is now connected to the printers wireless network you can use AirPrint, Apples iOS built in printing capability to print to it by opening a piece of content on the iPhone and pressing the action icon iOS Action icon.gif  on the top right of the display and then choosing Print from the drop down list. The printer you are connected to should automatically show in the Printer Options dialog that opens but if it doesn't, just press the Printer field and you should see it there. Many Apple apps support AirPrint, including Safari, Mail, Photos, and iWorks. Additionally, other popular apps available in the App Store are supported.

Let me know if you're having trouble with any of this and I'll do my best to help.

Best.

I am an HP employee.
If my reply helped you, feel free to click on the Kudos button (hover over the "thumbs up").
If my reply solved your problem please click on the Accepted Solution button so other Forum users may benefit from viewing the post.
0 Kudos
jghiller
Level 2
24 16 1 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Using Wireless Direct

I already had this capability w/o adding printer as a network. I just don't see what adding printer as wireless network provides anything. That's where I'm confused.
0 Kudos
jghiller
Level 2
24 16 1 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Using Wireless Direct

I guess what Wireless Direct allows is if my iphone is not connected to my home wireless I can print directly to the printer using it as its own network by joining to it on my phone. Thats assuming I am in range of the printer. But I wouldnt be able to go much farther than my driveway else I would lose the signal. Is this what wireless direct is for? Dont see much practical use of it. But now that I can email to the printer with eprint and print directly using airprint in my home, I dont see any other need to access unless I could print to the printer from a remote location. Then use the HP network name for the printer but again I wouldnt see it if out of range, correct - and wouldnt see it on my phone listed as a network, correct? Sorry for being thick about this.

0 Kudos
jghiller
Level 2
24 16 1 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Using Wireless Direct

I just did a test using the email address to print 'remotely'. I turned off wifi on my phone and then forwarded an email attachment that I was viewing on my phone to the printers email address(that I customized with a simpler name. So its just the method of adding the printer as a wifi network thats confusing as to how it could provide some additional access.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8
1,544 1,529 130 288
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Using Wireless Direct

Hi there, as you've demonstrated, the main use case for Wireless Direct is to print wirelessly from your device to the printer without going through a router/access point. In your case you have a WiFi network and have the printer connected to it so wireless direct is most likely a feature that you may not use very often, except perhaps in the case of a problem occuring with your router (hopefully this will never happen). 

Don't forget you can turn the Wireless Direct feature off from the print front panel and this will prevent the printer network from showing up in the list of available networks on your mobile device.

Best. 

I am an HP employee.
jghiller
Level 2
24 16 1 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Using Wireless Direct

OK - thanks - I thought there was something I was missing with this capability. Thanks for all your help and patience. Now if I can get the software installed(minus the web services, etc) on my Win8 pc w/o it always losing the connection I will be happy. I think the issue was the tech person who assisted installed it by ip address which of course changes all the time and I think that was the issue. I have always turned off firewall settings with my security software when adding a printer to the network so the install would find it.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation