Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 5 (6,376 Views)

Using too much ink!!!!

We started our business in January of this year and we already bought over 7 ink cartridges for our HP Officejet J3480 All-in-one printer. We are a small business so we do not print out a lot.  What am I doing wrong?  The ink should not be out that fast!!!!!!  HELP!
Top Student
Message 2 of 5 (6,365 Views)

Re: Using too much ink!!!!

I have an HP deskjet F4140 and it is the same with this one......now i just replace only the black ink, color ink goes even faster...i would not buy another HP again b/c of this....and the **bleep** cartriges cost almost as much as a new printer!!!!   it is crazy....

but no, you aren't doing anything wrong.....

Teacher
Message 3 of 5 (6,338 Views)

hello,,

in that kind of problem, you better try to get another printer or try to call hp and have a replacement for that. the printing mechanism of the printer has a problem. it is spraying too much ink. that is the only solution.

Provost
Message 4 of 5 (6,307 Views)

The J3480 is designed as a low usage home printer.  The cartridges are relatively small, the #21 is rated at 200 pages and the slightly larger #27 is rated at 330 pages according to HP's testing.  Which cartridges are you using?  The #27 would be a better value, but for a small business a different printer may be a better choice.  I noticed in yesterday's Staples ad an HP Officejet Pro L7590 at $169 with an additional discount of $50 with a printer trade-in.  This unit has much larger cartridges, 880 pages for the black #88 and 2450 pages for the #88xl cartridges, see here for details.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
Message 5 of 5 (6,293 Views)

Yeah. I could not believe the number of ink cartridges this sucks in  -- 14 cartridges in 3 months and I only print 200 pages a week. I wished I had kept my old c720. I did buy a universal black ink refill kit from Office Max ($13). It's messy but seems to partially work. I've refilled the black ink cartridge twice now. I get all kinds of threat messages from the printer (this will viod your warranty and it will not display the ink level) but it seems to work. I should get 8 refills from the kit.

Never HP again

Anchorage

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation