Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 4535

My printing load is limited. So, I had been using the same ink cartridges that I got with the printer, when I purchased it a few months ago.  Today, after printing first 4 pages, it started printing faint pink coloured lines for the next page and then, 6th-7th page onwards, it started printing blank pages. It does not matter whether it ran out of ink. (It did not, because the display panel showed some ink, when I checked.) The problem is, I did not get any alarm or warning to replace the ink cartridge. So, how do I know when I have to replace the ink cartridge next time around ? Count, as in pages, as in desi-liters of ink consumed, as in pages, or something else ? 🙂

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@most2d

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 

I understand that you have an HP DeskJet Ink Advantage 4535 All-in-One Printer and it the prints were faded initially. But now only blank pages print. I read that your HP printer did not provide prior intimation to replace the ink cartridge. You have checked the ink levels and the cartridges seem to have ink. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. I'll do my best to help ypu.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Do you print very less or print at least once in two days?
  • How much ink is remaining approximately in the cartridge (like 10%, 20%, etc.)?

Meanwhile, I did some research and found that though the ink is present, the ink might have dried out or maybe the ink nozzles on the cartridges may have dried out. If the ink dries then the printer may not display a message that the ink has dried out. Instead, if the ink is low then the printer will inform to replace the cartridges.

Let us try to clean the ink cartridges using the printer's automated tool:

You may also try to clean the cartridges manually as shown below:

• Remove both cartridges. See your printer's manual or help files for specific information on removing and inserting cartridges. Most HP printers must be turned on to remove the cartridges..

• Unplug the printer.

• Wipe the copper-colored electrical contacts with a clean, dry, lint-free cotton cloth.

Figure: Cartridge nozzles and contacts

1. Nozzles

2. Contacts

Figure : Cartridge contacts

If wiping the contacts does not solve the problem, clean them more thoroughly by the procedure below:

• Gather cleaning supplies:

• Clean distilled water. Use bottled or filtered water if distilled water is not available.
    • Clean cotton swabs or any soft, lint-free material that will not stick to the cartridges (coffee filters work well).
  • Remove both cartridges.

• Unplug the printer.

• Lightly moisten the lint-free cleaning material with clean water.

• Clean the cartridge contacts. Avoid touching the nozzles. Replace the cleaning material if it gets dirty.

• Using a new swab, clean the electrical contacts inside the printer, in the carriage. The illustrations below show contact locations for some representative carriages. If your carriage does not look like either of the pictures below, try to locate copper contacts inside of the printer that would touch the contacts on the cartridge when the cartridge is installed.

Figure : Carriage contacts

• Allow all the contacts to dry for at least five minutes, then reinstall the cartridges.

• Close the front cover and plug the printer back in.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Please feel free to let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.