cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bonnieandjeff
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Wireless MacBook Pro to wired C7280: Unable to print again

HP Recommended

I posted a few months about our problems printing to our C7280:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-networking-and-wireless/No-longer-able-to-print-from-wireless-M...

Thanks to PrintDoc's suggestion, we were able to get back into business--thanks again!

Since then, we've had several hiccups since then, but I'd always been able to get back in business...until now.

Here's our set-up:

Printer:  Photosmart C7280 All-in-One, connected to network via Ethernet, IP address 192.168.1.5 (confirmed with Network Menu > View Network Settings > Display Wired Summary)

Router:  Verizon/Actiontec MI424-WR (Verizon FiOS) with

* Ethernet ports

* 802.11b and 11g with WPA encryption

Desktop:  iMac with Mac OS 10.5.8, Ethernet connection.  I originally installed the HP software from the CD when we got the 7280 a few years ago, but we've probably upgraded it since then.

My Laptop:  MacBook Pro, originally with Mac OS 10.5.8 (now 10.6.4), wireless connection.  I think the HP software was originally downloaded from hp.com (as opposed to the original CD).

Wife's Laptop:  MacBook with Mac OS 10.6.3 (she might have upgraded to 10.6.4 by now), wireless connection, using printer drivers provided by 10.6.

After we resolved our original problem, I frequently had jobs on the MacBook Pro that appeared to get stuck part-way through.  I'd follow these instructions:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02205477

I'd usually get stuck on Solution 3, Wired/wireless network step 8--after clicking the Add button, the printer was supposed to show up, but it wouldn't.  I'd get around it by resetting the printer system as PrintDoc suggested; after that, I could add the printer again, and I was good to go.

Except now that's no longer working--I still can't see the printer when I click the Add button, even after resetting the printer system and rebooting.

Since then, I *think* I've tried everything:  deleting printer queues, resetting the printer system, uninstalling and reinstalling the HP software, power-cycling the printer, but I still can't add the printer.

The iMac with the Ethernet connection works just fine.

I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro from 10.5.8 to 10.6.4.  I knew that 10.6 came with the HP drivers, so I uninstalled the older HP software and attempted to add the printer again--still couldn't see the printer, even though I can ping it.

Now my wife can't print on her MacBook either, although I haven't started troubleshooting that yet.

I'm stumped and frustrated, and I don't know what to try next.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,888
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First and foremost - a truly awesome post with perfect level of detail.  Thanks for that.  I read so many "my printer does not print" messages that ones like this are refreshing.  Thank you.

Let's pick on the HP software.  If you had it on your system prior to 10.6, did you uninstall it with the 'scrubber' option (holding cntl-opt-cmd)?  If not, re-instlall from the CD and run the uninstaller with that option.

If you had already done that, then we will pick on your router next.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
bonnieandjeff
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Couple of quick clarifications:

• Should I reinstall from CD (Version 9.1 for OS X 10.3.9 and 10.4.x), or should I use the downloaded installer package (HP_Installer_PSC7200_v9.7.1.dmg for OS X 10.5)?  Or will either one work since I only need the uninstaller?
  • Scrubber option:  I press cntl-opt-cmd when I click Uninstall w/in the uninstaller--right?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
PrintDoc
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,888
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. I don't know.  I would guess re-install what you had installed just before going to 10.6, but if that was originally for 10.4, then maybe that?

2. Yes, that's right, within the uninstaller.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
bonnieandjeff
Author
Level 1
11 8 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bingo!  I couldn't try it out right away--too many fires to fight at work--but I reinstalled from the downloaded package and uninstalled with the scrubber option.  After that, I was able to add the printer again and print a test file.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation