cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Wireless Printer Setup cannot find network

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm on a university secure network and trying to setup my HP Photosmart C4780 for wireless connectivity with my MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.7.  I've had the printer for the whole school year and when I couldn't set up the wireless capability at first I just gave up because I was fine with using the USB to connect.  But I recently decided that the wireless setup is much more convenient and while trying to set it up, have yet again failed to do so.  While running the HP Setup Assistant, it continuously searches for the network and doesn't get any farther.  The network came up on the list of available networks and when I select it, it says "Searching for network" and never "finds" it.  The printer's wireless radio is turned on and the computer can connect to the network normally (hence I am typing this), so I'm not sure what problem I am running into in allowing the computer to communicate with the printer and the printer to the network, and so on and so forth.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
20,467 20,434 1,425 4,876
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you trying to connect the printer to the university's network?  It won't work, don't bother.

Or, are you trying to directly connect your computer to the printer using ad hoc networking?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just trying to connect to my own computer so I can put the printer on the other side of my room, where it's more convenient, instead of on my desk.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, you do not need the software to do this.  Make sure your computer can connect to ad hoc networks.  Now, search for the printer network on your laptop and connect to it.  Now, add it as a printer.

What operating system?  Remember, your laptop can only connect to one wireless network or device at a time, so when you are connected to your printer you will not be able to be connected to the university wifi.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm running Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.7).  I used to see the hpsetup network, but I no longer do. And even if I do see it, how do I add it as a printer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, you will need to reset the printer or the printer's network settings.  Consult your manual.

Now, turn it off and back on.  It should be broadcasting its SSID that begins with "hp".

Connect to it via your Airport icon in the menu bar.

Now go to System Preferences > Print & Fax, click the '+' sign and add the printer.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
20 20 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ensure the wireless printer software  is installed on all computers in the network for issuing the print command from any computer within the home or office premises. Bluetooth printer is a suitable option for small offices and Wi-Fi for a greater operational distance.

For more info of Wireless Printer Setup

Computers are like air conditioners – as soon as you open windows they stop working.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have virtually the same problem. I hooked up my printer at home and it worked perfectly fine. I could print easily. But now I'm at school on a secured network, and I'm trying to hook up my printer with my laptop, but my laptop won't "find" my printer. I have a windows 7 operating system.

Please help..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your university will likely not allow device to device communication on their network, otherwise you would be able to see virtually all of the computers on the network.

Get a long USB cable and call it good.

I am employed by HP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I know it's possible.. There are other students who use theirs wirelessly. But it's not working for me.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation