Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have bought many printers over the years and none of them have been HP. The last time we bought a printer I decided I would spend a little extra and buy one. Tonight I sit here trying to print documents in black ink only that are needed first thing in the morning and I can't. Why? In my opinion, because HP wants to sell ink. I went out today to replace a depleted black cartridge. I now have a brand new FULL black cartridge that I cannot use because I ran out of yellow ink while printing. Did I know the yellow ink was low? Yes. BUT I WAS NOT PLANNING ON PRINTING ANYTHING IN COLOR. One of the main reasons I bought this printer is for the ability to print in black ink only. Now I will have to spend half of what the printer costs to keep printing in black ink only.

If this is how HP is going to write programming for their printers, I will not be buying HP again. I understand the urge to protect the print heads, but after two rounds of ink I could buy a new printer. I may not wait that long.

HP Recommended

Let the world know,  this Printer HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus does not allow people to print anything, even Black and White only, if one of the color cartridges is empty.

I saw the blog the day before yesterday, so I ordered a cyan color cartridge from HP, and replace the cartridge today.  But after the printer print 10 pages black and white only, it complains again the cyan color is depleted.   Apparently a wrong error message.

Also it complains yellow is depleted. 

The problem is even I buy a yellow cartridge and replace the old one, the printer may still not allow me to print, because it has the impression that the brand new cyan cartridge is depleted.

It is a very bad design decision that HP made,  even it is not motivated to sell more ink. But I have invoice to print.  I am very disappointed about HP.  It used to be a decent company making great printers.  Now HP is declining. I had a HP Officejet 6450, slightly used less than three years old, the scanner is dead.

Then a few months ago I bought this HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus, not knowing it has such a big design defect.  Should I just cut the loss and return this printer to Costco?

HP Recommended

Already 10 days past and still no answer from HP. It is totally outrageous. Here's my phone number in Russia {Personal Information Removed} , if you still care about any of your customers.

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone,

Below is a good explanation of the print mechanism designs, and what is required in order to keep them in good working condition. Your printer falls under the user replaceable printhead. With this printer there are ink lines which need to stay filled with ink this way the print head doesn't get clogged jets in turn causing poor print quality issues.

Note written by Bob_Headrick on thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Officejet-8500-won-t-print-Black-ink-only-if-o...

HP, like other printer manufacturers, offers printers with permanent printheads that require ink for all the colors to keep from damaging the printheads.  HP, like some other manufacturers, also offers printers with user replaceable printheads.  These may of may not require ink in all colors to print, although damage may occur if printing with empty cartridge.  Finally, HP like a few other manufacturers also offers printers with the printhead built into the ink supply.  It is replaced at each cartridge change.  These printers will happily print with a supply low, empty or for many models even removed completely.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

I don't need this information after I already bought your **bleep** printer. You should have written this on the box in red and in manuals as well.  Also you have to warn your customers about this printing restriction , it is absolutely not a common thing to have in your printer, how the hell should I anticipate this? And please, stop giving this technical information, you are showing more of your discrespect to the customers. If you want, I can tell you 10 more times, you should have given this information before the purchase is done, not after. And stop frauding me and all the above around. I just want to know, how can I get my money back and  return your absolutely customer unfriendly printer?

HP Recommended

Obviously we didn't buy a printer, we bought thousands and thousands of printer cartridges that are **bleep**ing expensive as well, especially this way... nice marketing trick. I was able to replace the black ink previously individually without the other colors needing replacement. [Content Removed]

HP Recommended

We'll see you in a few months, when you run out of one of your color toners. You didn't get the plot of  a problem yet. But the supersolution is comming for you soon.

HP Recommended
Hey Hp guy,

I'm having the same problem with my HP Officejet 6100, but I already sent a letter to HP because I know for a fact that it is bull. Printing in only grayscale does not consume color when I have a high capacity black ink cartridge, so when I run out of color to print in black, I know it is a scam. Don't worry I'm already never buying HP products ever again and telling everyone I know to do the same. Thanks!
HP Recommended

I fully agree that HP should provide a  disclaimer that their printer does not print in black and white if the printer runs out of color ink.  Considering the high cost of color ink, this may place some people at a significant financial disadvantage.  Keep in mind that I can buy a whole new printer for the cost of all three color cartridges for my Officejet 8600.  My wife uses this printer for business purposes and seldom uses color ink; however, she prints a lot in black and white.  She is now completely handicapped and cannot print a single thing for her business, forcing us to have to purchase color cartridges at a time when we do not necessarily have the money to spare at this time.  This is MORE than inconvenient.  HP refers to how there are other printers that operate the same way.  Considering how HP is so nonchalant about how their customers are inconvenienced,  I will be seriously keeping this in mind the next time I go shopping for computer related equipment.  HP, your customers are not happy...and the customer is always right if you want to keep your customer base.

HP Recommended

@chrisnjim95, this is a peer-to-peer community for customers to connect and share solutions regarding their HP products.  If you have additional or direct feedback for HP about their products or services, please use the link here.

If you have any question regarding this issue you can call HP@8004746836.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.