cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
greyclear
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

the scan cannot be performed because another program

HP Recommended

I have done a lot of reading on this from one end of the internet to the other. This software only seems to work on a very powerful computer which is ridicules. All ports are open in the firewall, computer is statically assigned an IP. I have followed just about every step imaginable that has been listed from HP and none seem to work except one thing, it needs a powerful computer if you are scanning several documents at a time. Can any expert confirm this?

Since this software does not work on a Windows 2003 Server it has been used on the following.

Dell 4200 XP Pro - fails eventually

HP Compaq X2 64bit Vista - fails in a few days

Vmware XP Pro inside windows 2003 server (dell poweredge 2900) fails runs out of memory

Dell Latitude i5 Windows 7 64 bit. Works perfect

Dell Optixplex 280 - fails within the day.

When I say fail, it eventually stops working and you have to manually click off the error message and start a new scan over and in some cases it will say the software is not fully installed. The only success I have had is sitting this software on a dedicated i5 computer which is a bit ridicules that it needs that much power. 

The only scan option that is setup is document to PDF. DPI settings are at 100, any lower and some documents are not readable because the source document clarity is not that great. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
pjwilliamsna
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too have been wrestling with this scanning failure problem. I have 3 W7 64 bit machines on the network and 2 of them scan normally with the same HP software but the third always fails even with many uninstalls reinstalls, checking compatibilty mode etc.

HPHNDU on the failing machine works fine and connects to my networked HP6280 ethernet connected printer but HSPDU (scan diagnostic utility) always fails to connect and says try HPHNDU. Webscan works but you can't select a subset of the document to scan with that like you can with HP solution Centre.

There is only one user on this machine so it can't be another user hoding the scanning rights.

I think it must be a software problem so why has HP not fixed it yet?

I wonder if it is the HP printer status software checking the ink levels at an interval I can't see how to influence.

I have tried stopping each of the HP processes in turn with no luck and in any case it works fine on the other 2 machines. They are not on a shared gigabit switch with the printer like the failing one so I wondered if the scanning function was replying too fast for the failing machine but my experiment with moving the printer to a different switch made no difference. 

Perhaps all  that I have tried will save some others wasting as much time as I have on this problem. If anyone gets an anwer please do post it as it is driving me mad!

0 Kudos
pjwilliamsna
Level 1
7 7 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've got it working!

After a clean uninstall using Control Panel to remove the Photosmart driver and all related software and reboot I allowed

PS_AIO_02_NetWired_Full_Win_WW_130_140.exe to run (native W 7 64 bit) with all options accepted (even though I don't like or want some of them).

This launched Solution Centre at the end and it scanned normally (as I had a few days ago but then only one scan worked before I got  'scan cannot be performed...')

This time I got no error and HSPDU scan diagnostic utlity succeded in connecting and running through its steps. It detected a patch needed by Solution Centre for lost scans but that applied ok and i went on to the end.

It is not clear what is different this time but I have opened and closed Solution Centre several times and scanned OK - even after doing the same on one of the other pcs on my net.

So - clean complete uninstall. Clean install accepting all HP's choices and maybe it will work for you too!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation