Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

HI @mleec

Have you seen the note on the front of the forum page (in a bell shape icon) that says this..

"Facing print or scan issues after updating to macOS Catalina 10.15? 

Install the available 64 bit Samsung print/scan/fax driver or use AirPrint & Image Capture."

For scanning have you tried Image capture?

UPDATE: Ive just tried using Image Capture for scanning to PDF and it doesnt make a readable PDF. JPEG is fine. Is that what everyone else is saying?

ANOTHER UPDATE

Just used Preview.app to scan and save as PDF and that was fine. So i assume that will work in Catalina.

HP Recommended

I think the problem is more to do with what "Kind" you select in the scanning application, if you select Text or Black and White, PDF scan seems to work. If you select colour, then it fails. I don't know if this is a HP problem or not, I don't tend to scan to PDF, but thought I'd mention it as I know people rely on that for business purposes.

When I loaded it in Preview, it selected Text as the default, which might be why it worked for you.

HP Recommended

are so right thanks black and white PDF does work (in Mojave) i assume the same in Catalina?

Well at least that now seems to be a solution i can work with.

(never did get a PM reply from the mods, unreal)

HP Recommended

Yup, same in Catalina.

HP Recommended

So it has been a few days and I'd had chance to use my printer. Unfortunately, the raster chars are still a problem when using AirPrint and it will want to completely empty the printer tray. (I mainly print PDF documents).

I'm back on the Mojave driver now with the manual selection of the gz archive.

I think the finger points to an incompatibility with the AirPrint implementations between Catalina and the printer firmware. 

HP Recommended

thanks for the update, unbelievable.😠

HP Recommended

Has anyone come up with a viable solution for this yet? It seems I can print in any application except for an Adobe PDF file. 

No workarounds please.

HP Recommended

Are you referring to the raster characters and eating all your paper when configured with AirPrint after a few prints?

HP have released another version since I last tested, I don't think it will fix the issue, but feel free to try and report back - 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/samsung-xpress-sl-m2070-laser-multifuncti...

I don't believe it would be a problem using USB.

We've also just had macOS 10.15.4 released, I suspect Apple won't have changed anything, but worth testing if you've not upgraded yet.

HP Recommended

Yes those characters that waste tons of paper. I've downloaded the update already and no it did not fix the issue but thanks.

HP Recommended

See if the printer setup let’s you select the driver rather than AirPrint. The last release I tried didn’t.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.