Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
C480FW
Other

I am absolutely astonished that there is it seems no reference to macOS 11 / Big Sur anywhere on the HP site.  It is not even available as a selection in the drop down quick pick in the OS field!!!

Go to Epson or Brother websites and they have a whole section dedicated to compatibility matrixes and dates when compliance will be achieved.

What are you up to HP???????

Anyway - after the FIASCO that was the HP / Samsung drivers for macOS 10.15 Catalina, are we back in that same position again?  If what I have read is true, macOS 10.15 drivers WILL NOT work on macOS 11

AirPrint was a disaster with the C480FW - printing page after page of unintelligible hieroglyphics, and ICA did not work.

So HP - what are you doing?  Big Sur is released TODAY!!!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Today I thought about whether to do a MacOS update or whether I should sell my printer and consider another manufacturer. I also have the C480FW and I don't want another fiasco like 10.15. Thanks for confirming that it doesn't work again.

HP Recommended

Hi,

just to clarify, I haven't updated to macOS Big Sur because I don't know if the C480FW will work and I can't take the risk of not being able to print or scan.

Like many others I was left for months without a working printer / scanner last time and I just can't risk it again.

There is NOTHING I can find on HP site to say it will work

So I may have to sell printer and go and but a decent one from Epson, Brother or Xerox.

HP Recommended

this is a big problem and has affected many. I don’t understand why they leave the problem unsolved for so long

HP Recommended

I upgraded to macOS 11 Big Sur.  Printing works fine with the reported fix for Catalina, which is to add another printer and use the name of the printer listed instead of the AirPrint option.

HOWEVER, scanning now is completely hosed.  The scanner appears in Image Capture or Preview, the preview scan shows, the scan appears to scan, but you get an error message at the end of the scan.  This occurs whether I use a jpeg, pdf, bitmap, tiff, gif ...any format.

With Catalina, I could scan to a jpeg format, and that's all...but then I could save in Preview as a pdf.  Now...I can't scan and save in ANY format.  

So...basically I'm dead in the water using the scanner.

Absolutely ridiculous.

And now I'll have to shell out $90 for VueScan to get it operational again.

I am NOT a happy customer.  

HP Recommended

Thank you for sharing your experience.  I can take some comfort re your printing experience but I’m really sorry to hear of your dire experience on the scanning front. 

totally and utterly ridiculous. I just wonder if it’s worth you trying to post this on the Apple support forum? It’s outrageous that you have to shell out for software to make such a young printer. 

and HP, how about actually caring to comment on this? 

HP Recommended

just an afterthought, when this toasted for me last year i was at least able to scan using my iOS or iPadOS device and the Mobile Print App. If you too have acces to one of those devices it could be an interim workaround for you?

it is listed on the app store as ‘HP Samsung Mobile Print’

HP Recommended

After update color scan is not working. There are two ways to use scanner now:

1) Scan in Black&White

2) Scan using mobile app

As earlier scan problem (to PDF) for 10.15 still not fixed, seems I'm forced to upgrade device. And it will be NOT HP ever.

HP Recommended

So, it appears that I can complete a scan ... but I have to scan ONLY in Black & White mode AND using a .jpeg output.

Each and every macOS major update takes away yet another chunk of the multifunction printer's functionality.

Hoping that somewhere down the line HP will update the Samsung drivers for the scanner...yet again!

Otherwise, I guess I'm shelling out $90 to pay for VueScan, which works just fine scanning with the Samsung C480.  

HP Recommended

I finally just gave up.

I suggest ANYONE who has scanner incompatibility issues with ANY OS, including macOS 11 Big Sur to just purchase Hamrick Software's VueScan.

I found a link to purchase for $65.  It's a one time only purchase, all updates are free for the life of your license and they update the software and drivers every week or two.

People are using this software with extremely old unsupported scanners and it works perfectly.  I don't know how he gets this to work with every single scanner out on the market with every OS possible (Windows and Mac), but he does.

Although its a bit pricey and Samsung users shouldn't have to shell out more money to get their product to work, I couldn't stop hitting my head against the proverbial wall and just bought it.

There is a free trial to make sure your scanner will work, but I can guarantee you it WILL work in all modes and all outputs.  The free trial will watermark your output, however...so it will show you that it scans, but the output will be pretty unusable.  

I'm pretty cheap, but I could no longer put up with HP not issuing Samsung drivers in a timely manner...and I use my scanner frequently enough to justify paying the price to get it to work perfectly.

[content removed]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.