marcol99
Level 2
13 12 0 4
Message 21 of 101
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Scan to Network Folder not working after update to Mac OS 10.13 High Sierra

Followed your procedures strictly.  No luck.  The symthoms are:

(1) If NO user permission was set for sharing the network folder, 'The test was unsuccessful.  Try again!" at the web control panel.  Also "Scan test was unuccessful.  Try again" if try scanning at the printer LCD screen. 

(2) If user permission was set and correct user and password was typed at the web control panel, the printer kept restarting with "79 service error".   I'm pretty sure that the mac and the printer were trying to link (but failed) because if I mistyped the user or password for once, 'The test was unsuccessul.  Try again!".  Same "79 service error" and restarting happens if try scanning at the printer LCD screen.

Marco

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,583 18,489 1,060 1,161
Message 22 of 101
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@marcol99

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

This issue may require one to one interaction with the HP Phone Support.

I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

You have a good day ahead.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
redirts
Level 2
10 7 1 8
Message 23 of 101
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear 

Cannot write to \\xxx.  Destination folder is read-only, has the wrong permissions or is no longer available

As other posts have stated, the problem did not exist on previous versions of macOS, and does not occur if the resolution is very low, such as 75 dpi. It may be related to file operations on a Samba server.

This easily verifiable problem impairs a key function of the HP printer, and affects everybody running the latest macOS. It would be totally irresponsible for HP technical support to allow the problem to remain unaddressed. Please investigate and quickly develop a solution!

Sincerely,

Xun

mamherst
6 4 0 0
Message 24 of 101
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I agree with redirts. Presumably only those with phone support active on a recent purchase can call without incurring costs. Really, this should issue should be addressed by HP as part of its statutory obligations to consumers under our statutory rights. As observed, this 'easily verifiable problem impairs a key function of the HP printer'.

0 Kudos
Marcosi
Level 1
5 4 0 1
Message 25 of 101
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can only agree with the two post above!

This has been a excellent printer used by many small offices and home users with no issues until now. Not a single word from HP about this important function. Has there not been enough complaints / reports from users for HP to take this seriously? 

Shame on HP!

Cofresi
Level 1
10 8 0 3
Message 26 of 101
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Apple just released Mac OS X 10.13.1 which according to MacWorld "Improves the reliability of SMB printing." That may be the answer to the issue we are experiencnig with scanning to the network folder in resolutions bigger than 75dpi. I am at work right now and won't be able to update my Mac until later tonight, so if anyone decides to try and see if the update fixes the issue can you please reply to the post. Thanks.

0 Kudos
patbe60
1 1 0 0
Message 27 of 101
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just updatet to macOS 10.13.1. The HP support did write me, that this solves the problem - but NO, it didn't solve it.

0 Kudos
rookierev
6 5 0 0
Message 28 of 101
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I agree as well.  The latest High Sierra update did not solve this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
marcol99
Level 2
13 12 0 4
Message 29 of 101
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I solved my problem yesterday.  I created a new folder, edited the network path pointing to the new folder and then the scan test was successful.  There was no restarting of the printer again.  I found that, however, if I add back my previous scan files (created by Sierra, not High Sierra) to the new folder, the scan test will fail and the printer restarted.  Then I tried scanning at the printer's LCD panel and the printer restarted itself again.   I haven't known the cause yet.  It may be:

(1) there's limit on the folder size that hp driver can scan to; or

(2) file system's file issue because High sierra uses APFS but Sierra uses HFS+

(3) some of my previous scan files was infected and conflict.

Maybe other folks can help find out the cause.

0 Kudos
ADR1974
Level 2
14 14 0 3
Message 30 of 101
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This issue is present on my iMac...but not on my MacBook Pro...and both devices are running the same OS and have the same driver installed (10.13.1). Struggling to figure it out...

EDIT: my mistake...MacBook Pro can open the scanner, but scanning to a folder on the MacBook Pro still fails.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation