Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Professoinal M1217
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I've had my HP fax/printer for 4 years now.  Two weeks ago it started giving me a message "Out of Range" each time I attempt to send a fax.  It doesn't matter if it's a local fax number or long-distance number, the message is still the same "Out of Range".  The fax test report checks out fine.  I've had Verizon test the phone line, and that's fine too.  I can receive faxes with no problem, I just can't send a fax.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @DMRivera,

I see that you are having issues sending faxes, you are getting the error "Out of Range" . But you can receive faxes. I would be happy to help you.

Here are some fax settings to set on the printer, to see if it may help.

Go to the wrench, fax setup menu, OK, fax receive setup, OK, private receive, OK, turn it off.

Go to the wrench, arrow to fax setup, all faxes, error correction, OK, turn it off, OK.

Go to the wrench, arrow to fax setup, OK, all faxes, OK, fax speed, OK, set it to medium, OK.

If the issue persists, take a look at this document for Cannot Send or Receive Faxes.

Update the printer's firmware by a USB connection. HP LaserJet Firmware Update Utility.

I will send you another step to try in a private message.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @DMRivera,

I see that you are having issues sending faxes, you are getting the error "Out of Range" . But you can receive faxes. I would be happy to help you.

Here are some fax settings to set on the printer, to see if it may help.

Go to the wrench, fax setup menu, OK, fax receive setup, OK, private receive, OK, turn it off.

Go to the wrench, arrow to fax setup, all faxes, error correction, OK, turn it off, OK.

Go to the wrench, arrow to fax setup, OK, all faxes, OK, fax speed, OK, set it to medium, OK.

If the issue persists, take a look at this document for Cannot Send or Receive Faxes.

Update the printer's firmware by a USB connection. HP LaserJet Firmware Update Utility.

I will send you another step to try in a private message.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
I can now send a fax. Thank you.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.