cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ogeeskeemask
Level 3
51 34 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Can't validate Windows 7 on new hdd

HP Recommended
dv2815nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello. I inherited a PC that crashed due to gpu problems, this PC was upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7. I purchased a similar PC and began to swap the parts from the old to the new one, shortly after the purchase the 2nd PC also crashed for similar reasons. In the end the new one ended up with a new motherboard and the OS from the first PC which I installed to the HDD by creating a backup image disc, the backup worked but now the OS won't activate; online or anywhere else, when I try to activate it I get error code 0x8007232B {DNS name does not exist}, I've tried everything that I could but nothing. Now keep in mind that I did inherit the first PC, the second PC had Windows Vista installed but I was so used to working with Windows 7 that I tried to put it on the replacement PC, I did manage to acquire the activation key from the first PC but I do not have the original software and cannot understand after trying all of the OS manufacturer's fixes why the activation won't work. Any suggestions?

This error also keeps me from upgrading to Windows 10. On another note I have found a graphics display driver for the GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M (but can't remember where) but I know that it won't install until Windows 10 is installed but Windows 10 won't install until this driver is installed, I have also found a manual installer program for Windows 10 too 😉 I don't mind getting new OS software but who doesn't take the easy way out of a situation like this?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Captain_WD
Level 4
122 122 10 22
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there,

Have you checked if the OS is an OEM version which is tied to the old motherboard? 

This KB should be useful in your case so I'd take a look. 

Contacting the computer manufacturer or Microsoft may give you more details. Keep us updated and post back if there are any other questions! 

Captain_WD.

0 Kudos
ogeeskeemask
Author
Level 3
51 34 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The shell that I installed the new motherboard to has Windows Vista stickers, regardless of the motherboard the OS is installed on the hdd not the motherboard, i.e. on the old hdd Windows 7 is genuine while the same OS will not activate on the new hdd that I've swapped it to. I've also based my troubleshooting on the exact page that you are linking to, didn't work.

0 Kudos
phred01
3 3 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have much the same problem with a dv7 laptop. The Win 7 message of imminent HD failure, so created `re-installation discs 6 in total. Had a dogs time to create a fresh Win7 on a new 640g HD. First the recovery program wouldn't accept the product key on the sticker so used a licence key scanner on the HD to recover actual product key on flaky HD. This was different to the Microsoft label win7 product ID/ key. Used this product key which enabled to create a fresh win7 OS. Went on line & Microsoft's to validate HP supplied Win7 This failed.......error message---> "A problem occurred when windows tried to activate .....Error Code 0xCOO4E003 More information contact HP to resolve the issue" I cannot use the product key from the sticker as the product ID is different. BTW this computer was a HP replacement under warranty for the original that died . Is there a way to change the product ID so the sticker product key can be used?

0 Kudos
Captain_WD
Level 4
122 122 10 22
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Though the OS installed on a storage drive (it can't really be installed on the motherboard) is is registered to that particular motherboard and thus it cannot work with that same key on another motherboard, regardless of which HDD you are using (if it's an OEM version). 

I'd contact the manufacturer's support to see what the guys there would say.

Captain_WD.

0 Kudos
ogeeskeemask
Author
Level 3
51 34 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

l like that answer.

0 Kudos
phred01
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, contacted HP. I* was being told the problem was the new HD as it was not theirs and it contained special code to do the validation.... a porker.  Here & the US it is illegal to practice vertical intergration......Kodak ran foul in this area....big fine in the end. They couldn't explain why the windows on the original disc was not validated, Product ID was blank and there was no Genuine MS seal yet win 7 was working fine for 6 yrs without a validation flag ever coming up.  So if the original HD was fine one couldn't get a free upgrade from MS.....not a validated win 7 on the HD.  HP's solution was to supply the correct version win 7 discs ( @ my expense) for the product key on the computer to validate with MS licencing. It is very strange the original HD didn't have the correct version of Win 7 in the 1st place.  Wonder how many other HP laptops fall into this boat. Technically the win 7 on the HD could be considered a pirated version....MS might be interested

0 Kudos
ogeeskeemask
Author
Level 3
51 34 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well you all will be happy to know that I tried every available solution to this that I could find but in the end I tried the inevitable and it actually worked, I purchased a new activation key, entered it and that was the end.

0 Kudos
phred01
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sequel, Hp could not Guarantee that the their discs would work on a non HP supplied HD Further more the DVD was shot so a 3rd party supplied dvd may not read the discs either. I think their angle is the unit should be returned for their repair.....effectively HP was trying to lock up the issue with a view to impliment vertical integration. Well found a work around used a MS win7 64 bit upgade disk that had 3 licences. Used product key attached to to the DV7 laptop .....walla the system has been vaildated by MS. The bottom line is the HP product ID 00359-OEM-8992687-0010 is not registered with MS and can be considered a pirated copy and the product key is probably in the same boat. HP  with it's a hi reputation is engaging in practices of the grey market and used a program to negate MS need for validation flag. Shame HP!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation