cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
BobLittle13
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Cannot run Google Chrome in Windows 8.1

HP Recommended
Envy 700-074
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Chrome downloads but just highlights when clicked on but does not run.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @BobLittle13, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you have issues with google chrome on your PC.

Try few steps recommended below.

If you’re finding that Chrome keeps crashing, refuses to open, or fails to load webpages, there is a chance that you have malware on your system. Getting rid of it is normally a straightforward process, but you might need to work through a few solutions.
Try running chrome cleanup tool.

Chrome clean up tool link: http://hp.care/2fSv9TV

Try resetting the browser, click on the Chrome menu and follow Settings >Click Show advanced settings. Then scroll down to the section labeled Reset Settings and click Reset Settings > Reset.

If the issue still persists uninstall the previous version of chrome from the control panel, programs, and feature.
Download the latest version of chrome from the following link: http://hp.care/2fSBUoR

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
BobLittle13
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried everything twice, ran compatibility check and it said Chrome not compatible.  First pass with GOOGLE clean up detected Price Meter adware/malware and it was deleted.  Second ciean up pass after reinstall showed no malware bur "test compatibility" would not load Chrome and still said Chrome not compatible.

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @BobLittle13, thanks for the response.

As you mentioned that there was a malware deleted  on your PC. It looks like some of the registry files on your PC has got corrupted.

Please try few settings mentioned below.

1. Go to the desktop icon of Google chrome
2. Right click and select properties 
3. In the SHORTCUT section go to the Target text box and type in '-no-sandbox' after the bit that says "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" 
4. Close Google Chrome if it's running in the background (check in task manager) 
5. Re-open and make sure you are running as Administrator.

If the issue persists please try performing a system restore first and if system restore does not help try performing a system recovery .

Refer this article to know how to perform system restore: http://hp.care/2c1kggM

Refer this article to know how to perform system recovery: http://hp.care/2c7wZSQ

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
BobLittle13
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got spooked about restore since it seems it might obliterate recently downloaded programs.  So, I thought that maybe the clean up program might not have caught all of the ad-/malware.  I downloaded Malaware free, ran the program and killed 275 files that might be the problem.  They almost all had names like search enhancer, browser enhancer,  etc.  If you do this, don't panic when the screen stays blank for a while after the windows log-in screen--it apparently takes a while to get all of the trash out the door.  Anyway, Chrome now works fine.  Thanks to all who thought about this and gave good advice.

Bob

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @BobLittle13! thanks for the reply,

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation