cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
alps_boyscout
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Format PC after virus and reinstall win 7 - partitions

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion dv6 and because of a virus (affecting sys drivers) I need to format the PC and reinstall win7 (64bit).

At the moment of reinstalling win 7, I see four partitions in my PC:

Partition1: SYSTEM (just a few MBs) - type: system

Partition2: this is the main one in terms of GB used and available also - type:primary

Partition3: RECOVERY - type: primary

Partition4: HP TOOLS - type primary

I went through some questions in the forum and I just want to make sure in which partition I should format and then re-install win7. I guess that it should be partition 2, the main one, without touching the remaining three or is it going to affect the recovery and HP tools?

Thanks in advance for your help!

🙂

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,902 16,850
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you are using either the Recovery Partition ( f11 method ) or your Recovery Discs to reinstall Windows, there is no need to format the windows partition as this will be done automatically whichever recovery method you use.  Also, each of the partitions you currently see will also be re-created by the Recovery process.

See the link below for details on the main Recovery methods.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01895783#RestoreWithoutWindo...

If you are using a Retail copy of Windows to perform the installation, then you're correct in thinking it's partition 2 that you need to format - I have known this sometimes effect the functionality of the Recovery and TOOLS partitions, it shouldn't, but it does happen.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
alps_boyscout
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your clarification!

Yes, it is a retail copy, then I will format partition 2 and try to install the new OS on it.

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
DavidPK
Level 18
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Ok, let me know if you run into any problems.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
alps_boyscout
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have now win7 installed, but it seems to create a problem with the wireless card....in effect I cannot see any wireless network and when a turn the wireless on with the key nothing happens.

I guess that it is because of some drivers missing?I was just wondering if some other drivers might have disappeared with the formatting.

thx

A

0 Kudos
DavidPK
Level 18
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

As you've done a retail installation you probably are missing certain drivers ( or Windows has loaded generic drivers and they aren't working so well ).

Can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ) - see Here for a further explanation.

Also, is the version of Windows 7 you have installed 32bit or 64 bit?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
alps_boyscout
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I installed the 64bit win7 version.

Ok, thx, I will try to download the drivers and update them in my computer.

Regards,

A

0 Kudos
DavidPK
Level 18
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Ok :generic:

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
alps_boyscout
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey,

I gave a look to the HP drivers for an update and downloaded a few of the several offered for wireless issues, but I still have the problem. I download also the HP assistan that ran a driver check saying that it was ok. Then I updated also my BIOS, because I had an old version (now F.25), just in case.

My wireless card is an BRM Ethernet  as per the dv6-3310ez model. Unluckily I read some comments in internet and it seems to be, if it is related to my issue, a common problem for the dv6 and maybe linked to the limited warranty while the issue is the mother board....

Anyway, shall I try to download some specific drivers like USB adaptors or any other Wireless driver?

thx

rgs,

A

0 Kudos
DavidPK
Level 18
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, download and install the drivers you need - when done, check in Device Manager to see if you have any 'Unknown Devices' listed ( there will normally be a Yellow warning triangle as well ).

If you find any, right click on the problem device and select Properties.  Click the Details tab, choose Hardware Ids from the dropdown box and post back with the details shown under Value.  Repeat this for each problem device.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation