cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mrawjm
Level 1
15 7 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Help needed with installing and activating Windows ten after completely uninstalling Windows

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p199
Other

Hello HP assistants.

I need help with a specific problem. My laptop came with a Windows 8.1 installation. I then upgraded to Windows 10 when it became available. After some time, I decided to uninstall Windows completely (wiping the hard drive) and install a Linux operating system.

Now, I have decided that I want to use certain software that is not available on Linux and so I want to reinstall Windows 10. My problem is that Windows is completely gone in any shape or form. So now I would need to download Windows 10 from an official source (which I think can be done quite easily from the official Microsoft source, although if there is a better, HP official way of doing this then please recommend it) and I would then need to activate Windows some how.

As has been made clear, I do have the rights to use Windows 8.1 and 10 but I would need to download Windows 10 and activate it. Is there a way to do this? I am literally stuck without a solution.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 24,185 9,902 11,597
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
DavidPK
Level 18
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

mrawjm
Author
Level 1
15 7 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I'm trying this now.

DavidPK
Level 18
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're welcome :generic:

Windows Insider MVP

mrawjm
Author
Level 1
15 7 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Perfect solution. Thank you! :}
DavidPK
Level 18
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation