cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mrawjm
Level 1
15 8 0 1
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

Help needed with installing and activating Windows ten after completely uninstalling Windows

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p199
Other

Hello HP assistants.

I need help with a specific problem. My laptop came with a Windows 8.1 installation. I then upgraded to Windows 10 when it became available. After some time, I decided to uninstall Windows completely (wiping the hard drive) and install a Linux operating system.

Now, I have decided that I want to use certain software that is not available on Linux and so I want to reinstall Windows 10. My problem is that Windows is completely gone in any shape or form. So now I would need to download Windows 10 from an official source (which I think can be done quite easily from the official Microsoft source, although if there is a better, HP official way of doing this then please recommend it) and I would then need to activate Windows some how.

As has been made clear, I do have the rights to use Windows 8.1 and 10 but I would need to download Windows 10 and activate it. Is there a way to do this? I am literally stuck without a solution.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 49,455 9,902 16,849
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

mrawjm
Author
Level 1
15 8 0 1
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I'm trying this now.

0 Kudos
DavidPK
Level 18
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're welcome :generic:

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
mrawjm
Author
Level 1
15 8 0 1
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Perfect solution. Thank you! :}
0 Kudos
DavidPK
Level 18
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation