cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bbw01f
Level 1
7 2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

How do I know what has installed v what I need to do manually?

HP Recommended

I understand that some packages will download and automatically install however there is a general warning that some packages may require manual intervention. How do I determine which of the downloaded files have been automatically installed and more importantly which ones I will need to do myself?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
louy
Level 4
57 48 24 5
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you are in SDM Update mode, all SoftPaqs displayed are SSM-compliant and will either be marked as "Up to date", "Not Installed", or "Newer Version Available".

Any SoftPaq selected for installation from SDM Update mode should install automatically unless it is a firmware or BIOS update. If such a SoftPaq is selected, then the next time SDM Update mode is displayed, the firware or BIOS SoftPaq will have a Status of "Manual Install". A right-click will bring up a menu to launch the SoftPaq manually. Once installed, the "Manual Install" status should change to "Up-to-date" (likely a reboot is necessary for the changes to take effect).

The reason for requiring manual intervention for these SoftPaqs is that we would like for HP customers to read the installation instructions for these SoftPaqs which have the potential to really messing up the computer if power is interrupted during install. In the case of BIOS SoftPaqs, it gives the customer opportunity to temporarily suspend hard drive encryption if it is enabled in order for the installation to run smoother.

In SDM Personal mode, non-SSM-Compliant SoftPaqs are displayed alongside the SSM-Compliant ones. Unfortunately, there is no way to differentiate which SoftPaqs have been installed or not in this mode.

Note: in general, SoftPaqs are designed to be smart enough to determine how to install themselves. If an older SoftPaq is installed over a newer one, it should exit and leave the newer version installed. If a SoftPaq does not detect the appropriate hardware, it should also exit gracefully. In other words, there should be on ill effects if a SoftPaq is installed manually.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation