cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Goose1961
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Keyboard freezes when I try to switch users

HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-369
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, I've run into a vey interesting/perplexing problem.  My PC has two users on it, one is local with no password and the other not local and password protected.  When I try to switch between users my wired USB keyboard becomes unresponsive - if I'm switching to the account that requires a password, I can't type it in.  This problem occurs regardless of which account I'm switching to.

I've tried uninstalling all the keyboards through device manager and rebooting.  Keyboard works until I try to switch users.

Interesting development that I stumbled across - if I just unplug the keyboard and plug it back in everything is fine until I try to switch users.

During my research, I found an article that referenced disabling the XHCI and enabling legacy USB support.  Problem with that, is that I haven't been able to find that setting in the BIOS anywhere.

Very bizarre!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, RG

2 REPLIES 2
MechPilot
Retired
Retired
7,336 6,258 359 766
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Goose1961,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how your keyboard freezes when you try to switch users on you desktop computer, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To ensure your system is able to recognize the keyboard when switching accounts, I recommend following the steps in this document on How to Add or Remove "USB selective suspend setting" in Power Options in Windows. This should help to disable USB selective suspend on both accounts after restarting your computer.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Goose1961
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, now if 2 other people hadn't seen the symptoms, I'd think I was crazy.  Before testing your recommendation, I thought I'd double-check that I could still re-create the problem.  I was shocked and amazed that everything worked normally.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I tried multiple keyboards (even a wireless one) and multiple USB ports (both 2.0 and 3.0) with the same symptoms occuring.  I even booted into Safe Mode, where everything worked yet when I re-booted normally the symptoms re-appeared.

I checked Windows Update and no new updates were applied without me knowing it, so now I'm totally dumbfounded.

I'll keep your suggestion in my back pocket just in case the problem re-occurs and try it then.  Hopefully I won't have to.

Thanks for your "help" -  usually it's me doing that to my kids when they have a problem with they're computer :)!!!

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation