cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
musicmaker1
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Software

HP Recommended
Photosmart Portable Printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have software for my Photosmart 422 series Photo Printer which does not download to my HP Laptop with Windows 7

installed. Previously it was fine when I had Windows XP but now I cannot email photos to family and friends, I have written to HP regarding my quest but without success as they did not reply to my letter. I see from the list that my printer now comes under the discontinued list, surprise surprise as I would have thouught there are a lot of these in circulation but why didn't HP consider making software to cover all models as do other companys. So that as a model is updated or surpassed owners aren't left with usable products that can't fulfill a need. I hope someone out there will have an answer for me or can help me out with my quest? Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DocCottle
Retired
Retired
5,028 4,829 404 709
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @musicmaker1,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you are having some issues with printing from your Windows 7 PC to your Photosmart 422 Photo Printer. I can help you with that.

To start, make sure the printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet and not a surge protector. Once done:

1. If the USB cable is connected from the printer to the PC, remove it.
  2. Close all programs you have open.
  3. Click on Start and open Devices and Printers.
  4. Right-click on any icon of your printer listed.
  5. Click on Remove Device. 
  6. Repeat for any other icon of your printer listed.
  7. Connect the USB cable between the printer and the PC.
  8. Click on Add Printer at the top of the screen.
  9. Select to install a USB device.
  10. On the screen that asks you to select a printer, select Hewlett-Packard on the left and find a driver with a name similar to Photosmart 422 or Photosmart 420. If you find nothing similar, select Deskjet 9800 or Deskjet 990c.

Please let me know the results after following the above. If you are able to print, please click on Accept Solution. If you appreciate my help, please click on the thumbs up icon. Both icons are below this post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
musicmaker1
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks to DocC for his answer which although I have connected the Photosmart printer to my laptop as advised

it does not solve the problem. The problem is that HP do not have a CD software disc to download onto Windows7 I have a CD disc but it is only for Windows XP. The printer works perfectly well with the camera docked and the printer producing good pictures. The problem is that as when I had Windows XP on my laptop I could send photos to my family and friends via the camera/printer as the photosmart software was downloaded, now that I cannot do this does anyone know a way round it of extracting the photos from the camera by connecting it to the laptop so they can then be emailed to the recipient. Unfortunately the camera cannot be directly linked to the laptop as its method of contact is with the printer only by a docking method, the printer however can be connected by a USB cable with the camera in situ

Many thanks musicmaker1

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation