cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SarahAyelet
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Typing bug

HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 with Word
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I'm just trying to report a bug.
When I try to type "100nT", or one hundred nano-Tesla, into Microsoft word on my HP Spectre X360, when I press the space bar, it changes to "100Nt" and my caps lock key magically turns on. (I have a video.)

PS Why don't you have a simple HP bug reporting tool?
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,484 90,361 11,617 24,909
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

That is not a typing bug. If you have to type nT hundreds times a day, please turn off auto correct or auto capitalization in Word, otherwise overtype it and this will cost you 5 seconds or you can global change the whole document at the end.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
SarahAyelet
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Interesting... I didn't realize autocorrect had the authority to modify user inputs on the PC, such as turning on the caps lock button and changing LED statuses. That seems a bit undermining.
0 Kudos
SarahAyelet
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I'm sorry, but I'm actually still unconvinced that autocorrect being able to modify user inputs (and with uncertainty) is a feature rather than a bug. I still think the engineers would want to know that autocorrect has the ability to turn on the caps lock button; I can't see this as being intentional.
0 Kudos
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Auto correct and/or auto capitalization in Word will do that. As mentioned above, you can turn this off or build a dictionary/list for yourself.

Please read Word manuals.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
SarahAyelet
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I do not believe autocorrect can control user inputs like selecting my caps lock key and changing LED statuses. I also don't believe it's a feature if it's behaving in a semi un-reproducible manner with uncertainty.

Please read my problem statement.
0 Kudos
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please Open Notepad and type 100nT. What you see ? Now my question: How long  have you been using Microsoft Wird ?

Regards.

BH

0 Kudos
SarahAyelet
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
When I type 100nT into Notepad, it remains 100nT, just like it does in Word, except for that one fluke time, when it insisted on changing each time I deleted back to that *one* singular same instance, but not any others, and insisted on *turning on my caps lock key,* and only for that instance, which is not expected behavior.

I suppose I've been using Word for over fifteen years.

If people aren't even going to bother to read the statement, please don't reply.
0 Kudos
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@SarahAyelet wrote:
When I type 100nT into Notepad, it remains 100nT, just like it does in Word, except for that one fluke time, ...

Hi,

That why I said this is Word auto correct thing. You have been using Word for many year you know how to tell Word about this.

Regards.

BH

0 Kudos
SarahAyelet
Author
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Yes, thank you, I can report the bug to Word/Microsoft; I am just very new to HP computers and was unsure if it could be the computer/keyboard misinterpreting instructions/bugging. However, there didn't seem to be a readily accessible bug reporting tool for HP, which is why I put it on the HP forum dealing with third party software. I thought it seemed like a compromise.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation