cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
babysnakes33
Level 1
8 4 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

XW6400 problem with two quad core cpu's

HP Recommended

I have an XW6400 which i'm rebuilding as a gift for a friend. The thing is brand new & never been used.

My problem ...... Specs first :

Dual Xeon 5130

8Gb 2RX8 Ram

Asus GT740 1Gb graphics card

USB 3 PCI-e card

Startech Sata III PCI-e card ( ready for SSD)

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

BIOS 2.38

1Tb WD Caviar Black HDD

I managed to get hold of two Xeon 5410's but after installing them, all i get from the monitor is .. "Power save mode, hit any key or move the mouse" ... neither of which have any effect.

However, when i put the 5130's back in, it fires up quite happily.

I've built quite a few PC's in the past ( including another XW6400 ) but this problem is quite a head scratcher.

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
SDH
Level 10
2,185 2,140 200 632
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rob,

Scratch no more.  You are trying to load a Xeon Quad Core for a xw6600 into a xw6400.  In theory you might think it will work.  It will not.... the only processors that will work are listed in the QuickSpecs for the xw6400, attached.  This has to do with the "microcode section of BIOS, which includes a white list of specific processors that are allowed.  The quad core Xeon you want is E5345, latest sSpec code (SLAEJ), from eBay.  Buy one and if one will work then you can add a second.  I have a "known good" one in my stash, but virtually all I have bought used off eBay work fine.

There are about 10% of xw6400 motherboards that cannot run that processor, and in that case I run two of the fastest dual core Xeon in the list, the E5160, latest sSpec code (SLAG9).

I'd recommend running the Intel X25-M at 160 GB or the 320 series at 160GB or 300GB, used off eBay.  Run that first through DBAN, then NTFS long format it.  Use W7Pro 64bit or that Ultimate 64bit, and load it properly with both the little and the main partitions.  Those particular Intel SSDs are very fast, match the SATAII specs of the chipset, and use the latest version of the Intel Toolbox.  Your WD is a nice documents drive.

You can run the USB3 card from TI from HP, which I have posted on here and a nice way to get 2x2 output (two ports in rear; two in front) is detailed.  The xw6600 lets you get full speed from the second PCIe x16 video slot for USB3, but the xw6400 will limit you to 1/2 of full speed due to its use of PCIe gen 1 rather than gen 2 slots for that card.

I'd stick as much as possible with using what is on the motherboard rather than loading up a bunch of unnecessary cards to get things running and stabilized.  You don't need USB3 or SATA gen III for your friend to have a very good and rock solid user experience.

All the info is in here.....

Very nice of you to help your friend.  That new xw6400 still has good life in it, especially if you can drive two of the E5345 SLAEJ processors.  Or, two of the E5160s.

Favorite cheap used video card:  Quadro FX1800, any OEM, and do the HP firmware update on it.

babysnakes33
Author
Level 1
8 4 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks indeed Scott... i shall scour my bucket of used CPU's at work.

Spoiler

Rob.

SDH
Level 10
2,185 2,140 200 632
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Rob,

Happy to help.  I edited and updated that a bit. 

By the way, using the same techniques you can turn any (in my experience) xw6600 into a Z620 midrange with two of the fastest Xeons listed in the xw6600 QuickSpecs.  I stick with one of those Intel SSDs as my boot drive, use a nice documents spindle drive, and add in the HP TI 2x2 USB3 card to the lower video PCIe x16 slot.  Have done about 10; zero failures.  I drop the RPMs of the northbride fan and the stock 92mm memory fan with resistor PWM fan adapters, and these modified workstations run fast, cool and very quiet.  You can do that with the xw6400 80x25mm memory fan, or drop in a xw6600 92x25 memory fan/shroud with the speed reducer too if you have/buy that part.  That is a main unnecessary noise source in the xw6400....

You can find universal installers for most of the drivers from later versions of the HP workstations for both the xw6400 and the xw6600 for after your base W764 install.

EDIT:  The fastest Xeon quad core in the HP microcode list for the xw6600 is the E5450.

Scott

babysnakes33
Author
Level 1
8 4 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Awesome.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation