cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rjelly
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

fax error code

HP Recommended

Does anyone know what an error code 344 means when faxing? I have an HP all in one Officejet Pro 8600

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Rich1
Level 9
2,840 2,849 192 608
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi rjelly,

Here are the Fax Error Codes.  Click Here 

There are 3 suggested solutions for this error:

1. Try to send the fax at a different time of day.
  2. Turn off the Error Correction Mode (ECM).  To do this, press the right arrow on the control screen of the printer and select Setup / Fax Menu / Advanced Fax Setup / Error Correction Mode.
  3. Try sending at a lower transmission speed.  To do this, press the right arrow on the control screen of the printer and select Setup / Fax Menu / Advanced Fax Setup / Fax Speed.  The options are:

• Fast (33600)
• Medium (14400)
• Slow (9600)

You might try the ECM change first.  If that doesn't help, drop the speed one level at a time.  Does this help?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
0 Kudos
Rich1
Level 9
2,840 2,849 192 608
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,
I just thought I’d check in to ask if you were able to resolve your issue.
Rich

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
0 Kudos
ACT_User
2 2 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello.

I need aditinal assistance please. I followed the steps and I still received the same error message. The fax I am trying to send is international to Hong Kong.

Thank you for your help, and aditional suggestions.

Rg. Chris.

0 Kudos
Rich1
Level 9
2,840 2,849 192 608
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi ACT_User,

So you are receiving the 344 fax error code and have tried faxing at different times and turning off the Error Correction Mode (ECM).  Is that correct?

You have also tried faxing at the Slow (9600) transmission speed.  Is that correct?

Are you able to send a local fax?  If you aren't sure, can you try that?

Can you give me the full name of your printer?

Can you give me the Model # for the printer?

Can you give me the Product # for the printer?

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
0 Kudos
ACT_User
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello.

Thank You for your reply.

To answer your questions:

Yes I keep receiving error message 344 after I tried to change: 1. ECM Only; 2. ECM and Medium Speed; 3. ECM and low speed. After diferent combinations still I get 344.

Last week when I sent to a local fax machine it went trough with no problem, but just 5 minutes ago (today), I tried to send a US long distance number and I received "error message 346".

Name and other info of the printer: HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g Series

I hope we can find a solution. I appreciate your attention to this.

0 Kudos
Rich1
Level 9
2,840 2,849 192 608
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you in the US?  If so, when you dial the long distance US number, do you dial the "1" ?

Are you able to place a voice call to Hong Kong?

If you run the Fax Test, does everything pass? 

Here is a list of the error codes along with some suggested solutions.  Click Here 

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation