cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
oliverhoffmann
0 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

"The file ______.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents."

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I started a paper this morning and saved it as normal, however when I try to reopen it I get the following messegeThe file ______.docx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents.", Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RomanMe
Level 3
53 53 3 10
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Not really, but I would try opening it with LibreOffice.

0 Kudos
sandyfree
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That sounds like document corruption. It is relatively rare these days, but there still are situtaions when it happens.

Just to confirm: You are using Word 2010. Are you inserting equations and pictures into the document? That is one known source of corruption in 2010.  Have you appliced Office Service Pack1?  That mostly fixes that source of corruption. However, your error does not sound like this type of error.

Has the document been opened in any other word processor or other computer?

Has the file been stored on a USB Thumb drive? If you are editing the file directly ON the thumb drive and do not properly shut down the drive before pulling it out, you stand a good chance of leaving part of the file behind on the HD, corrupting the document.

Here is possible technique you can try to fix corruption. But if it is the USB problem, you are probably SOOL because apparently the document structure puts the text content at the end of the file where it is most likely to be lost.

How can I recover a corrupt document or template – and why did it become corrupt? eRepair Word http://www.erepairword.com/

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation