cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
kdander
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

windows update will not function and the SDM does not show my product

HP Recommended
Changed my operating system to Win 7 premium SP1. Now Windows update will not function, it searches for updates for hours but never finds updates and will not close with out the Task Manager. Also tried to use the SDM software but it does not show my product. I followed the instruction shown buy selecting OS, Language ect but no help.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
karthikeyan77
Level 4
Level 4
109 109 10 14
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi ,

For this issue , I recommend you to update the unit bios and try updatng the windows 

Also I request you to install the below file and update the windows 

install the Windows KB3102810-x64 ( Follow LINK : https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=49540 )

After that, unit will prompt to restart, restart the unit and run the windows update.

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!

r-K

Karthikeyan S
I am an HP Employee
0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,545 30,452 2,784 6,722
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

kdander

This has become a "standard problem" with anyone trying to do Windows Updates in Win7
these days.

I maintain some PCs that still use Win7 (their owners despise Win10) and have found
that the steps detailed below help to overcome the hung Windows Update problem ...

Download these updates before starting the installation process and copy them to a USB
flash drive.

NOTE: If Win7 is not already running SP1, then you need to download and install it
before running these Updates.

Disconnect the network cable or disable the WiFi.

Install these two updates from the flash drive before connecting to the network and
running Windows Update.

KB Links:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

Have to stop the Windows Update service BEFORE installing each of these: net stop
wuauserv

NOTE: KB3172605 supercedes KB3161608 which supercedes KB3102810

If you have a problem with KB3172605, post back as there is a separate fix for that.

Then, after you re-enable Windows Update, it should only take 2-4 hours to find and do
the updates, not days.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation