cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
3 2 1 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Cannot Update Envy X2 BIOS using sp69946.exe

HP Recommended

I have been unable to update my Envy X2 BIOS using sp69946.exe. The executable does brings up a InsydeFlash 4.37 window with blank fields for ID and versions of the current and new BIOS. After several seconds, a popup appears warning me that "No WMI! Do you want to continue?"

If I answer OK, the current and new BIOS version fields show 12 and 14 respectively for less than a second, followed by a reboot. Using Windows System Information, I see both before and after the attempted BIOS update that Windows detects my BIOS as InSyde F.12, 5/8/2013.

I am running Windows 8.1 and have disabled my firewall and anti-virus based on a previous thread, but the results are always the same.

Where am I going wrong?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,544 3,408 221 571
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Alex_Drone,

Welcome to the HP forums.

I understand you're unable to update the BIOS on your ENVY x2 notebook.

Try the steps to update from USB in this guide: HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS, in the section titled "Updating the BIOS when Windows does not start (Windows 8 or Windows 7)."

Let me know if that works.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No success. I tried to run the update from a Windows safe mode boot, but the InSyde executable didn't even come up. The examples and the links posted in the reply didn't help either. What next?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
3,544 3,408 221 571
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try restoring the BIOS settings to default before applying the update. Once you're in the BIOS you should be able to press F9 to restore the default settings. Try applying the update after that.

If that doesn't work try recovering the BIOS before applying the update again. TO recover the BIOS you need to press the Windows Key + B on boot. You can see a more detailed guide here: HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS.

Hopefully that works.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
3 2 1 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I stumbled on to the answer when the tablet detected an error during shutdown and presented me with a series of menus that led to an option to upgrade the BIOS. I clicked on that control and the update process launched a series that popups showing the steps of reflashing to V1.14. Inadvertent on my part, but the tablet's code is now where I want it to be. Thanks for your time.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation