cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Jiangshi
Level 2
12 7 1 2
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Prime - Math Templates Usage Question

HP Recommended

On the HP Prime, if I press the math template key, I see a group of templates pop up on the screen. These templates do not apprear in help nor are they identified in the User's manual. I know what most of them are for, but a few I do not. And the one I am particularly interested in is the third one over from the left on the top row. It is a box followed by a verticcal bar followed by a smaller box below the level of the bigger box. It believe this tempate is for evaluating functions at a certain value. However, I am getting syntax errors when trying to use it. I would very much appreciate detailed information on how to use this template, especially in using for a range of values. Ex. 0 < x < 4.

Thank you!

Todd

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Fortin
Level 4
127 110 14 18
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screenshot_2015-05-28-19-26-47-1.png

The {} make a list for x in the equation to be evaluated.  This screen cap is from CAS.  If you want to do this in home, use capital X instead.

BTW, a box in a template with a filled square in it is required and an empty box is optional.

Hope the examples help.

LOGLOGsliderule
1 1 0 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That same template does not work in Function Symbolic View for plotting.  For example, entering F1(X)=X^2|X>0, shows F1(X):NaN error in plot view.  A work-around is to use F1(X)=X^2 (X>0).  In other words, don't use the template.  Use parentheses for the limits.  Any ideas how to use the template in plot view or is this a bug?

Fortin
Level 4
127 110 14 18
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Use the piecewise template.  It's the 5th one on the top row - the one with the "{if"

In Function, it'll accept -1<X<1, but in Adv Graph you'll need to do -1<X AND X<1

If you want the graph to be undefined outside those bounds, enter 0/0 on the second line with no condition following the "if".  

Multiplying by (X<0), TI-style, causes 0 to be a Y solution when tracing the graph ... and that's not right. 😉

(BTW, you could also divide by your condition, (X^2)/(X>0), to create the undefined/inf condition when false(0) is the evaluation, but I would strongly recommend the piecewise template so that there is no risk of multiplying/dividing by something other than 0 or 1 and unintentionally altering the plot)

Jiangshi
Author
Level 2
12 7 1 2
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is very useful. In my experimentation I had tried using parentheses, but it looked like the calculator was just going to multiply x^2 by what was in the parentheses. As you suggest, I entered in at the F1(X)= x^2(x>1 AND x<3) and it plots it perfectly.

Thanks for the great tip!

0 Kudos
Maké
Level 9
3,551 3,490 180 541
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, Jiangshi:

Please, see ... http://nctm.confex.com/nctm/2014AM/webprogram/Handout/Session22826/305MarkHowellCoolMathFromCoolGrap...

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
Egalitarian512
2 1 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, LOGLOGsliderule. I just want to say that  I love your Online Name. Very special, since I own a LogLog Slide Rule. John M.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation