cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Professor
Professor
1579 1569 133 306
Message 11 of 126
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stream 7: Windows 10 Technical Preview installation

And you have Secure Boot disabled?  Did you try to boot the USB in another computer to test it?  I can't think of anything else that would prevent the Stream from booting it.

coderpro12 Tutor
Tutor
17 16 0 1
Message 12 of 126
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Secure Boot says disabled in BIOS and my main pc boots off of it fine 

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
48 47 1 23
Message 13 of 126
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I installed the Windows 10 TP just last night successfully on my Stream 7.  It has a 32 bit UEFI BIOS, which is a bit of an oddity - that might be what's tripping you up.  Here's how I did it.

Downloaded the latest publically-available 32 bit Windows 10 TP build 9879 ISO from here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso-update?os=win10

To create a bootable USB drive with 32 bit UEFI support, download the free Rufus utility from here:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

(I'd never heard of Rufus until recently, but in the last few weeks I've used it to create bootable USB drives for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.  It works great, it's free, and it's FAST.)

In the Rufus options, use "FAT32", "GPT Partition Scheme for UEFI computer", and "create a bootable disk using ISO Image", and point it towards your ISO.  I used a 16 GB microSD card in a USB 3.0 card reader, but you can use a USB thumb drive also.  It created the bootable USB in about 5 minutes.

Now I actually forgot to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS, but the install worked just fine.  Plug in your OTG cable to a USB hub, and plug into the hub a mouse, keyboard, and the USB drive (your touch screen won't work during and after the Windows 10 install until you install the Windows 8.1 HP drivers.)  Boot into the recovery options (power+volume down), choose UEFI USB drive (if it's not listed as an option there, something didn't work), and the Windows 10 install will start.

After you click Install Now, make sure you choose Advanced, and you should be able to delete all the current partitions on the SSD - you should have about 29 GB free.  (Make sure you created a separate 8.1 recovery USB drive from within Windows 8.1 before you did any of this in case you want to go back to factory stock, because you're wiping out the recovery partiton!)  Point the installer at your now blank SSD, and away the install goes!

Make sure you download all the HP drivers, and have them on a USB thumb drive - the internal microSD card reader and the WiFi won't be working until you install the drivers!  Install the Intel combo drivers first, then the rest of the drivers in any order.  The touchscreen driver wouldn't run for me after the unpack step - just go into Device Manager and update the driver manually, and point it to the unpacked driver .inf files. 

Since I had no WiFi during the Windows 10 install, it didn't offer to set up using a Microsoft account, so you'll have to set up using a local account.  Once you have the drivers installed, you can convert to a Microsoft account, which will then sync a lot of your settings from when you had 8.1 installed on it, which is nice.

Running great so far, I'm loving Windows 10.  FYI you can install the Office 365 that came with the tablet as long as you activated/installed it when you had 8.1 on it.  Just log into your Microsoft account and you should be able to find your subscription with an "Install" button.

Have fun, and let me know if you have any questions!

Edit: Corrected the Rufus options to use "GPT Partition Scheme for UEFI computer".

coderpro12 Tutor
Tutor
17 16 0 1
Message 14 of 126
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot into the recovery options (power+volume down), choose UEFI USB drive (if it's not listed as an option there, something didn't work), and the Windows 10 install will start.

I have done this and when i hold the buttons down it goes to the startup menu and from there i can hit F9 for boot options and the flash drive doesn't show up 

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
43 41 1 6
Message 15 of 126
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I performed an upgrade which went fairly badly. However, I installed a fresh copy. I was able to get Wi-Fi, touch screen, etc. working eventually using the drivers on the HP download page. However, for whatever reason, the audio driver refused to install and kept saying it was not for my platform. I got everything else working.

The clean install seemed to be easier to setup than an upgrade install from Windows 8.1 based on my experience trying it both ways. It seems that some people have had better and others have had worse results, so your mileage may vary. It should theoretically be the same since it's the same model of tablet and for the most part I am assuming the majority of users downloaded the drivers from the HP website (although you might be able to find some of them (including possibly newer versions) elsewhere, like intel.com etc). One thing that might differ is the BIOS level if some users have not updated it to the latest, or updated to a previous release of it.

I installed the HP Support Assistant in hopes it might sort out the audio issue but it did not even seem to detect audio HW. Device Manager showed an unknown device for (Realtek I2S audio) - I found this by checking the HWID given by Device Manager in a web search. I tried a few different Realtek audio drivers but none worked. (This included unzipping the .EXE and .ZIP files with 7-Zip and manually pointing device manager at the driver files and .INFs etc).

0 Kudos
coderpro12 Tutor
Tutor
17 16 0 1
Message 16 of 126
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Quick Update - 

I was able to get it to boot to the USB Drive Thanks for the Help

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1579 1569 133 306
Message 17 of 126
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To JohnSmith: The audio driver for the Stream should be working okay in Windows 10. 

After you installed 10, did you first install the SP69306.exe - Intel Chipset, Graphics, Camera and Audio Driver Pack first, reboot and then install the SP69309.exe - Realtek HD Audio Driver?  I'm not sure if that is the problem but it seemed to work for me.  If that still does not work, you might also install the latest VersionF.0A A BIOS Update if you haven't already, that shouldn't be required but it is what I am currently running.

Intern
Intern
43 41 1 6
Message 18 of 126
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestions and tips Kyle. I don't recall the order I tried the drivers in, but I had updated to the latest BIOS before attempting to install Windows 10 so that part should be the same as yours I believe.

I actually returned my Stream 7 yesterday afternoon and decided to go with a Stream 8 because I wanted the slightly larger screen and the 4G cellular data for times when I might not have Wi-Fi connectivity available. I'm not giving up!

I believe installing Windows 10 on the Stream 8 should be virtually identical to doing it on the Stream 7. It appears to be virtually the same exact configuration/devices/drivers etc. except the Stream 8 has a slightly larger form factor/screen and includes the cellular data (200 MB a month free). So theoretically, it should be the same exact process.  When my Stream 8 arrives, I will give it another go and let you know what the outcome is.  🙂

When I go to do this on the Stream 8, I will try the Intel driver pack first and then the RealTek HD audio driver since that seemed to give you the best results. I will also make sure I first update the BIOS to the latest on it too. Generally always a good idea. 🙂

I want to thank you for your very kind help and suggestions/ideas and tips. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
43 41 1 6
Message 19 of 126
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brentrad, great info from you also. Thanks for the great information and tips. 🙂 Also much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1579 1569 133 306
Message 20 of 126
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, Brentrad, great install guide for Windows 10 on the Stream tablet, very well written, thanks.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation