cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TerryQ
Level 3
39 33 2 2
Message 1 of 22
Flag Post

Solved!

What is best solution for using a Palm Tungsten 2 on a Windows 7 computer?

HP Recommended

Driven by the end of XP, I purchased an HP Z230 Workstation running Windows 7 Professional.   I'd like to get my Palm Tungsten 2 working, and I've heard several options here on doing that.

OPTIONS

A.  Use Palm Desktop 6.2 with Bluetooth for hotsync.  (I've done this already with a Win7 laptop, but I use the Note Pad utility a lot with some macros, which unfortunately is not supported on  Desktop v6.2).

B.  Use Palm Desktop 4.1.4 in a virtual Windows XP environment running under Win 7.  I know I can do that, and that is probably my fallback.  However, Microsoft suggests that you disconnect from the Internet any time you use the Virtual XP, because it may be susceptible to hacking since they don't support XP anymore.   So that will be an added nuisance that I will probably forget to do.

C.  Use the Aceeca USB driver to make Desktop 4.1.4 work.  I tried following the instructions here to do that, but when Hotsync fails, it never shows up as a yellow triangle in the device manager list, even after I followed the trick to make hidden devices visible.  So I have not been able to even try the Aceeca driver with Palm 4.1.4 yet.

D.  Install the Aceeca Desktop 4.1 and update to their driver.  I could try this (uninstall Palm 4.1.4 and install Aceeca 4.1) but it looks like it depends on the same process to update the driver as my option C just above.  So I'm thinking I may run into the same roadblock as C.

Questions:

Does anyone have any other ideas of how to get the Aceeca driver hooked up to Palm Desktop 4.1.4 that I could try?

Does anyone know if Aceeca Desktop supports the Note Pad facility if I try option D?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Terry

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TerryQ
Author
Level 3
39 33 2 2
Message 18 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Eureka!

I've now gotten Palm Desktop 4.1 to work on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, and showing all modules with my Tungsten T2, and without locking up.

The breakthrough was doing all the things above (including run as administrator) and adding to that, Turning off User Access Control, as suggested in another unrelated post by Dean (aka WyreNut)

So here are the stops to Run Palm 4.1 (not 4.1.4) on Windows 7 and sync with a T2.

A.  Install Palm Desktop 4.1.

B.  When it tries to Hotsync and fails, look at Device Manager in the Control Panel, and check for a reference to Palm with a yellow exclamation point in it.  Note:  This palm reference only appears during a Hotsync.  So you have to look for it just after it fails.  NOTE:  If you do not see this or the yellow exclmation point by it, you will probably need to uninstall Palm Desktop and start over.

C.  Follow the instructions to install the Aceeca driver in place of the Palm driver.  (This is covered elsewhere on this site.  You must already have the Aceeca driver downloaded, and unzipped, and on your computer so you can navigate to it).  This should permit Hotsync to work.

D.  Right click on the shortcut to the Palm Desktop 4.1 program, and go to the compatibility tab, and click where it says "Privelege Level" and check the box that says "Run this program as an administrator."

E,  Go to the Control Panel, and turn off the User Access Control.  I had trouble finding this by just going to the Control Panel, so I searched for it in the help system and got the information.   There is a slider control and slide that to the bottom.  You'll then have to reboot for it to take effect.

After doing all these things, I'm happily Hotsyncing and using my Tungsten T2 with its original Palm Desktop 4.1.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
PalmBlue
Level 4
100 94 5 19
Message 2 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TerryQ,

Does anyone have any other ideas of how to get the Aceeca driver hooked up to Palm Desktop 4.1.4 that I could try?

Did you open the ‘Other devices’ category by clicking on the little triangle

icon to see the ‘Palm Handheld’ device in your Device Manager during a HotSync attempt?

(Copied from Aceeca Install Guide pdf)

I HotSync my Zire72 with Palm Desktop 4.1.4e (Download version) with Win Vista, 7 & 8.

I do not have the Note Pad desktop application or conduit.

I read on another forum 4.1.4 Download version does have Note Pad.

I do not know anything about the Aceeca Palm Desktop Download

If you install Palm Desktop from the CD it should have Note Pad.

I had Note Pad with Vista (PalmDesktop CD version) before I installed the 4.1.4e Download version PD.

0 Kudos
TerryQ
Author
Level 3
39 33 2 2
Message 3 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Palm Blue,

Thanks for weighing in!

Here is what I know so far.   I use the Palm Desktop 4.1 on my Win XP computer, and have no problems syncing my Tungsten T2 with USB Hotsyncs.

I've also successfully hotsynced the T2 to a Win7 Pro laptop computer using Palm Desktop 6.2. and Bluetooth.

My goal, which sounds like you have already accomplished, is to install Palm Desktop 4.1.4 on my new Win7 Pro desktop, so that I can sync with the T2 and get the Note Pad functionality also.   This is like my "OPTION C." 

Did you have to use the Aceeca driver to make this work on your computer, or were you able to do it with the Palm driver?  One other person reported elsewhere having gotten 4.1.4 working on a 64 bit Win7 installation, and he made no mention of the Aceeca driver.  I have not been able to contact him.

In response to your question about what I see when I try to sync:

Palm 4.1.4 is installed on the Win7 Pro desktop, and the hotsync icon is present. 

When I try to sync, I hear the characteristic tone indicating that a USB device is recognized.  But I also get a message that pops up near it with the yellow triangle and the following text:

"USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED"

"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has

malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.

For assistance in solving this problem, click this

message."

If I click the message, I get popup window that says,

One of the devices attached to this comptuer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it."

It then shows a list of the USB devices inside of one of the USB Root Hubs, and one of them has a different icon and a question mark in that icon (not a yellow triangle).  And its description is in bold and it says "Unknown USB Device."

I also looked at the Device Manager during a hotsync to see if it shows a Palm device or an Other category.   Using my XP computer first with the Tungsten T2, and which also syncs okay, it is true that during the Hotsync, the Device Manager adds a device "Palm OS Handheld Device / Palm Handheld," that goes away as soon as the hotsync is complete.

Using the same Palm Tungsten 2, when I attempt the Hotsync in the Win7Pro computer,  "Palm OS Handheld Device/Palm Handheld"  does NOT appear in the Device Manager (nor anything else like it).

So for some reason, my computer does not have seem to have enough of the Palm Desktop/Hotsync installation complete that I can get to the point of either it working, or where I could try to install the Aceeca driver.

I keep trying things to get it to work, but so far now luck.  Looking for more ideas to try.

Terry

TechQA
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello TerryQ,

I'm doing interfacing with 'similar'  products, and so I just began following your description/discussion. Good luck with it all.  

me TechQA

0 Kudos
PalmBlue
Level 4
100 94 5 19
Message 5 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TerryQ,

Yes I use the Aceeca driver.

The Palm driver will not work with any 64 bit PC

You need to see your Palm Handheld in your Device manager to update to the Aceeca driver.

I have my Windows UAC (User account Control) set to Never Notify.

I don't know if that helps to install, but Palm Desktop works better when it is installed.

If I had your problem I would Uninstall, Reinstall Palm Desktop.

Skip the step asking to check the internet for updates.

If I was not able update to the Aceeca driver I would contact Chris Short aka PalmDr

He can arrange to dial into your computer and install the required driver remotely, the typical fee for this service is

$xx for the first 30 minutes.

Chris repairs and sells Refurbished Palm devices.

He has a very good reputation with many Palm users

http://www.palmdr.com/windows-7-64-bit-usb-drivers

0 Kudos
TerryQ
Author
Level 3
39 33 2 2
Message 6 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Palm Blue,

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I'll try the uninstall/reinstall suggestion first.  If I understand you correctly, instead of letting it search for a driver on the Internet, I should point it to the folder where the aceeca driver is located.  Is that what you are suggesting?  

Does that accomplish the same thing as setting "never notify" in the Windows UAC, or is that something separate I should try?  I just read a little on that, and it says "never notify" allows the computer to make changes without asking you.  That seems opposite than what I'd want for this installation.  Can you explain further the benefit of that?

If all that fails, I'll contact Chris.

Thanks,

Terry

0 Kudos
PalmBlue
Level 4
100 94 5 19
Message 7 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TerryQ,

If I understand you correctly, instead of letting it search for a driver on the Internet, I should point it to the folder where the Aceeca driver is located. Is that what you are suggesting?

No. When I start the Palm Desktop install it will ask if I want to check the internet for updates.

I ignore this and continue with the install.

Does that accomplish the same thing as setting "never notify" in the Windows UAC, or is that something separate I should try? I just read a little on that, and it says "never notify" allows the computer to make changes without asking you. That seems opposite than what I'd want for this installation. Can you explain further the benefit of that?

"Never notify" in the Windows UAC, is something separate I have done with every PC I have owned since Vista in 2007.

I noticed I could not view HotSync Logs when UAC was turned on.

I cannot say how it effects an install because I set UAC to "never notify" before I do any installs.

0 Kudos
TerryQ
Author
Level 3
39 33 2 2
Message 8 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Palm Blue,

Hold off responding until I get back to you.  I think I'm there, but need to do a long sync and check things out.  Then I'll post what worked.

Terry

0 Kudos
TerryQ
Author
Level 3
39 33 2 2
Message 9 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is just a status report.   If/when I get to a full solution, I'll write up a full report on the process for others' reference.

Palm Blue, I tried your suggestion to uninstall and reinstall the Palm desktop 4.1.4, and that DID give me the opportunity to see the little yellow triangle in the device manager, and I WAS able to install the Aceeca driver.  Apparently you sometimes only get one opportunity to see that yellow triangle during an intial clean install.  So if you don't see it and don't have the Aceeca driver on yet, best to uninstall and start over.

At this point, the Palm T2 did do a hotsync (Yeah), but unfortunately I'm not all the way to a solution (Arghh).

Everything synced fine except for ToDo,  and Address book.  And I did make sure the Hotsync settings were right, and I retried more than once.  Plus I determined that the databases for the Todo and Address had made it onto the Windows 7 computer, and were the same size as was on my WinXP computer.  It is just that the Palm Desktop 4.1.4 was not showing those two databases.  Since Palm Desktop 4.1.4 uses different names for some things (like Tasks and Contacts instead of ToDo and Address), I thought that might be the problem.

I tried a couple of things.  At this stage I had two installations of the Palm desktop in the Program File (x86), one  in a Palm folder (from when I had installed 4.1) and the 4.1.4 in a PalmOne folder.  The 4.1 had been uninstalled, but there were still files in the Palm folder.

So I uninstalled the 4.1.4, and installed 4.1 from CD.  The 4.1 accepted the Aceeca driver (Hooray).  The 4.1 Desktop came up with the correct (for a T2) names of ToDo and Address, just like they always did.   But after syncing, they were still empty in the display (despite the databases being on the Win7 computer).  In fact, Memo Pad was now empty also.

At some point during all of this I uninstalled, and deleted both the Palm and PalmOne folders and their content, and reinstalled only the 4.1, including a reinstall of the Aceeca driver.  But after doing a full sync, the Todo and Address and now Memo Pad databases show empty in the desktop, despite the databases being on the computer.  All of the other databases (Date, Expense, and Note Pad), are displaying normally.

{Interestingly, I could probably also install Desktop 6.2 at this point, and between the two of them be able to see all my functions on the T2.  But there are doubtless risks with that}.

With the morning light, I remembered something else which I want to try, but can't do until later today (out of time).  But if anyone has comments on this in the meantime, feel free to share:

This  link talks about a discussion on trying to get a T2 to sync with Windows 7, using Desktop 6.2 :

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Palm-OS-WinMo-Hardware-and-Software/Tungsten-T2-and-Windows-7-64-bit-sy...

About halfway down the discussion, there is talk of a solution for the Win7 / T2 / Desktop 6.2 problem he was experiencing, at

http://forum.brighthand.com/sync-windows-palm-os/261651-synching-legacy-pim-databases-palm-desktop-v...

In the description at  the second link, it sounds like the problem I have on changing database names.  Obviously there are some questions.  Is the reason I cannot get Win7 / T2/ Desktop 4.1 to work fully because the Aceeca driver is set up only for newer Palms  and their database names than the T2?  If that is the cause, and that is what the registry utility changes, then I might be able to use the registry utility to make it work with Win7 / T2 / Desktop 4. 1.

So unless someone has something else to suggest in the meantime, I'll probably give this utility a try later today.

Terry

0 Kudos
PalmBlue
Level 4
100 94 5 19
Message 10 of 22
Flag Post
HP Recommended

TerryQ,

It is very frustrating to be so close to have it working.

I didn't realize how lucky I am to have a Palm with a slightly newer OS. (5.2.8 vs5.2.1)

You seem to have done a lot of research on your issue, but I have to ask do you have the Palm Desktop set to Run as an administrator?

Right click Palm Desktop Icon, click Properties/Compatibility

In the Privilege level check the box to Run this program as an administrator.

Click OK.

I have my Palm Desktop and HotSync Manager set to Run as administrator.

I can remember having Address, Contacts, Datebook, Calendar as conduits on my Vista PC when I was using the CD version Palm Desktop

It did not cause an issue.

I think had them all set to Synchronize but I am not sure.

Since I installed the Download version PD I do not have the Datebook & Address conduit.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation